GPL discussion, sense and nonsense

General discussion about computer chess...
Chris Whittington

Re: GPL discussion, sense and nonsense

Post by Chris Whittington » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 am

hyatt wrote:A matter of semantics. One can compare two books, or two chapters, or two paragraphs to determine if one is a copy of the other. It doesn't matter what else was done in addition to copying, copying anything, by itself, is called "plagiarism" in the friendliest term applicable. If someone rips parts of Crafty, Fruit, etc, and adds to those other parts that he writes himself, there is _still_ a copyright infringement problem, because you can't copy code. Note that looking at a single line is hardly useful, as many books have the sentence "Ouch, that hurt!" but wrap that in enough context and copyright violation becomes apparent.

There are several different issues being discussed as if they are one in the same.

1. copyright. Whomever writes the code, by default, holds the copyright on it. He can voluntarily give up that right if he wants. Or if not, it remains his.

2. GPL. An addendum to copyright that simply says "you may copy, use, and/or modify this code. But if you do, and you distribute it to anyone (whether for sale or for free is irrelevant) you must distribute the modified source code in the same package.

3. Tournaments. They can make up whatever rule they choose. We have all pretty well agreed on the derivative issue, although certainly the Fruit/Rybka issue will give some pause to think about this further. Whether ip* and friends will always be excluded or not is unknown. Certainly no more than one of them can ever play in the same tournament due to the existing derivative rule. And if we see convincing evidence that suggests that ip* was derived from Rybka, they all ip* and friends would be excluded. Doesn't address the fruit/rybka issue, but then that is something that needs more data. Today, I do not believe many would vote to accept Rybka 1 in any chess tournament. But we are now up to Rybka 4. How much, if any, of the original fruit code is left? Unknown at the moment. Of all the issues around, IMHO this is the most difficult one to deal with. You can err on the side of logic, based on normal software development practices, and assume that since R2 was released 1 year after R1, that R2 was not a "ground-up rewrite" but reused lots of code from R1. And by applying that recursively, one could reasonably conclude that R4 probably has some of that code still present. Certainly there is code in the Current version of Crafty that was present 15 years ago when it was first released. That's a far longer lifetime than Rybka, and yet significant chunks of code have survived all the changes to the present date. But then on the other hand, older versions have been allowed to compete, so it would be difficult to suddenly say "no mas".

I don't quite get all the twisted interpretations of the GPL. My simple explanation above is what the GPL is all about. Yes it requires a lot of legalese to survive court challenges. But it is really about fairness. To let someone make their code available to others, yet preserving the right to see any changes other might make, if the changed versions are distributed. If the changes are kept private, then nothing has to be released at all. Seems like a rational way to promote open software development as opposed to what happens in commercial software development where everything is top-secret, classified, hidden by double-secret encryption, and by intentional obfuscation of information to hide as much internal "trade-secret information" as is possible.

I grew up in the days of "open computer chess development." Many of us exchanged source code all the time. Starting in the days of Coko (Kozdrowicki and I communicated a lot in the early 70's and the last version I had was Coko IV) and then on to Slate (not many wanted to look at compass assembly language but he made it available) and of course including Cray Blitz and Crafty, not to mention hundreds of other programs available today. We were trying to push the field forward, not push our own self-interests forward. I actually think we did pretty well at this approach, in spite of commercial computer chess programming practices.
Bob,

For you as academic, it's about plagiarism, free sharing of information, ethics. Your pay, tenure, status, everything depends on that ethics set. For us commercials, or in my case ex-commercial it's about legality. My (commercials) pay, survival depends on being legal. So my take on the Rybka affair is to look for the illegality status (I don't see any), yours is as you set out above. Different.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 am

hyatt wrote:I grew up in the days of "open computer chess development." Many of us exchanged source code all the time. Starting in the days of Coko (Kozdrowicki and I communicated a lot in the early 70's and the last version I had was Coko IV) and then on to Slate (not many wanted to look at compass assembly language but he made it available) and of course including Cray Blitz and Crafty, not to mention hundreds of other programs available today. We were trying to push the field forward, not push our own self-interests forward. I actually think we did pretty well at this approach, in spite of commercial computer chess programming practices.
Pity your last sentence spoils your insightful and good post. You are biased against commerce. While that is common in the scientific / university world they easily forget that without commerce there wouldn't be any university at all. Your salary eventually is paid by the commercials, by those people with a vision to make money, found a company and create jobs. These commercial companies and the people who work for them pay taxes and from these taxes you are paid and many scientists as well.

Bottom line: your bias against commerce in such strong wordings (and being not the first time BTW) undermines your objectivity in this matter. Against Rybka because it is commercial, pro Ippo and friends because it is free and damaging the commercials. That would be a valid impression, right or wrong.

Ed

Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Rebel wrote:
hyatt wrote:I grew up in the days of "open computer chess development." Many of us exchanged source code all the time. Starting in the days of Coko (Kozdrowicki and I communicated a lot in the early 70's and the last version I had was Coko IV) and then on to Slate (not many wanted to look at compass assembly language but he made it available) and of course including Cray Blitz and Crafty, not to mention hundreds of other programs available today. We were trying to push the field forward, not push our own self-interests forward. I actually think we did pretty well at this approach, in spite of commercial computer chess programming practices.
Pity your last sentence spoils your insightful and good post. You are biased against commerce. While that is common in the scientific / university world they easily forget that without commerce there wouldn't be any university at all. Your salary eventually is paid by the commercials, by those people with a vision to make money, found a company and create jobs. These commercial companies and the people who work for them pay taxes and from these taxes you are paid and many scientists as well.

Bottom line: your bias against commerce in such strong wordings (and being not the first time BTW) undermines your objectivity in this matter. Against Rybka because it is commercial, pro Ippo and friends because it is free and damaging the commercials. That would be a valid impression, right or wrong.

Ed

Hello Ed Schröder,

First of all, an awestruck hello from a fan of yours for years!

I am talking about the DOS Rebel days (I have them still!).

I do believe that you do Dr. Hyatt an injustice.

He is not referring to being anti-commerce, he is against the commercial chess programming approach of take and take and take, strip out all you can from the open source programs, ask dozens of questions in various fora and then run and hide, sharing nothing.

A chess information black hole if you will. Nothing escapes to the surface.

You made Rebel's inner workings public some years ago. Do you know of any commercial programmer - retired or not - doing something as amazing as that?

No?

Neither do I at the moment...

The run and hide approach is true of all of the commercials, without exception. Now one might argue that this secrecy enables them to stay at the top of the heap but a casual look will show that open source Stockfish - which seems to me to be one of the most scrutinised sources in recent memory - as well as other freely available programs are making up the ground that used to be reserved for the commercials.

So, does secrecy help or hinder?

That is a personal matter but Dr. Hyatt has railed against that mentality forever - which is about as long as he has been writing and coding.....

:-)

It is not Ippo that is damaging the commercials. Not at all. It is the exciting wave of strong free stuff that is more than giving the commercials a run for their money and that is good because the ultimate beneficiary is ME, the user at the end.

It keeps getting overlooked that Dr. Hyatt trusted Vas as a programmer that when he (Vas) said that Rybka was cloned he immediately removed all links etc. And then waited for evidence to be displayed. As we all are waiting. Even now.

Pro-Ippo? Again Ed Schröder, I think that this is incorrect if you take his posts in context.

Personally, if I was so unwilling (for whatever reason - do not care, anonymous authors, waste of my time etc.) to defend my bread and butter I should not expect others to do it for me. I do not think that reflects bias as much as it as an expectation that humans act with their interests firmly in mind.

Later.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
hyatt wrote:A matter of semantics. One can compare two books, or two chapters, or two paragraphs to determine if one is a copy of the other. It doesn't matter what else was done in addition to copying, copying anything, by itself, is called "plagiarism" in the friendliest term applicable. If someone rips parts of Crafty, Fruit, etc, and adds to those other parts that he writes himself, there is _still_ a copyright infringement problem, because you can't copy code. Note that looking at a single line is hardly useful, as many books have the sentence "Ouch, that hurt!" but wrap that in enough context and copyright violation becomes apparent.

There are several different issues being discussed as if they are one in the same.

1. copyright. Whomever writes the code, by default, holds the copyright on it. He can voluntarily give up that right if he wants. Or if not, it remains his.

2. GPL. An addendum to copyright that simply says "you may copy, use, and/or modify this code. But if you do, and you distribute it to anyone (whether for sale or for free is irrelevant) you must distribute the modified source code in the same package.

3. Tournaments. They can make up whatever rule they choose. We have all pretty well agreed on the derivative issue, although certainly the Fruit/Rybka issue will give some pause to think about this further. Whether ip* and friends will always be excluded or not is unknown. Certainly no more than one of them can ever play in the same tournament due to the existing derivative rule. And if we see convincing evidence that suggests that ip* was derived from Rybka, they all ip* and friends would be excluded. Doesn't address the fruit/rybka issue, but then that is something that needs more data. Today, I do not believe many would vote to accept Rybka 1 in any chess tournament. But we are now up to Rybka 4. How much, if any, of the original fruit code is left? Unknown at the moment. Of all the issues around, IMHO this is the most difficult one to deal with. You can err on the side of logic, based on normal software development practices, and assume that since R2 was released 1 year after R1, that R2 was not a "ground-up rewrite" but reused lots of code from R1. And by applying that recursively, one could reasonably conclude that R4 probably has some of that code still present. Certainly there is code in the Current version of Crafty that was present 15 years ago when it was first released. That's a far longer lifetime than Rybka, and yet significant chunks of code have survived all the changes to the present date. But then on the other hand, older versions have been allowed to compete, so it would be difficult to suddenly say "no mas".

I don't quite get all the twisted interpretations of the GPL. My simple explanation above is what the GPL is all about. Yes it requires a lot of legalese to survive court challenges. But it is really about fairness. To let someone make their code available to others, yet preserving the right to see any changes other might make, if the changed versions are distributed. If the changes are kept private, then nothing has to be released at all. Seems like a rational way to promote open software development as opposed to what happens in commercial software development where everything is top-secret, classified, hidden by double-secret encryption, and by intentional obfuscation of information to hide as much internal "trade-secret information" as is possible.

I grew up in the days of "open computer chess development." Many of us exchanged source code all the time. Starting in the days of Coko (Kozdrowicki and I communicated a lot in the early 70's and the last version I had was Coko IV) and then on to Slate (not many wanted to look at compass assembly language but he made it available) and of course including Cray Blitz and Crafty, not to mention hundreds of other programs available today. We were trying to push the field forward, not push our own self-interests forward. I actually think we did pretty well at this approach, in spite of commercial computer chess programming practices.
Bob,

For you as academic, it's about plagiarism, free sharing of information, ethics. Your pay, tenure, status, everything depends on that ethics set. For us commercials, or in my case ex-commercial it's about legality. My (commercials) pay, survival depends on being legal. So my take on the Rybka affair is to look for the illegality status (I don't see any), yours is as you set out above. Different.
The issues of plagiarism and legality are the same here. If one plagiarizes code then the copyright for that code was violated, which is illegal according to copyright law and the GPL (if it was released under the GPL). There are lots of commercial products based on GPL source. They simply are required to distribute the source as well. Some distribute this on a CD/DVD, others have an online web page that provides links to the source...

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Rebel wrote:

Ed
I did not intend my comments to be directed at _all_ commercial programs. But we can go back to the 80's to see how "commercial interests" overwhelm "logic". The WMCCC in Germany. Each "company" could have 4 entries. Hardware restrictions (must be commercially available at the time of the tournament). Etc. Don't know if you were at the one in Travemunde, Germany (Valvo wrote about this under the topic "Terror in Travemunde"). Since the commercial division allowed one company to enter 4 copies, that led to conflicts of interest for the participants where the highest-scoring entrant from a company could get paired against another entry from the same company, and collusion would lead to the entry with the highest score winning that game. Claims of non-released hardware. Machines guarded like there were gold bars inside, to keep prying eyes and fingers from spotting something questionable.

In the "open world" if you cheat, you get caught. If you copy, you get caught. But if one can hide behind any sort of shield, such as "commercial interests and trade secrets", getting caught is much more difficult.

One thing I have learned. If someone gets caught doing something they were not supposed to do, and you believe that that person is the _only_ one doing that, then you are ignoring sampling theory, AND, you are ignoring the laws of probability. So someone just happened to check the program that has copied code. A random sample of size 1 just "lucked" into the only program/programmer doing that? Doesn't make much sense in that context.

I have _always_ considered this kind of development as a "moral issue" as well as a technical one. Moral, because if you take something, you ought to give something back. Most commercial chess programmers do not do this. I'm certainly not "pro ippo* and friends". I am just not "anti" them until we know what they really are, and then get a firm understanding of the fruit->rybka->ipp* issues.

Chan Rasjid

Post by Chan Rasjid » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Books and computer codes have some intrinsic characteristics that should be considered when comparisons about them are made. A book is naturally open but computer source codes are proprietary and private by nature. It is for this reason that there is "open source" for computer codes and not needed for books. You simply cannot copy books as it infringes copyright and it is difficult to argue that "I ... somehow just wrote like J.K. Rowlings and the plots ... all turned out same... ". Source codes are very different regarding copyright. Once they are released into the open domain, "plagiarism" no longer can apply.

Rasjid

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Chan Rasjid wrote:Books and computer codes have some intrinsic characteristics that should be considered when comparisons about them are made. A book is naturally open but computer source codes are proprietary and private by nature. It is for this reason that there is "open source" for computer codes and not needed for books. You simply cannot copy books as it infringes copyright and it is difficult to argue that "I ... somehow just wrote like J.K. Rowlings and the plots ... all turned out same... ". Source codes are very different regarding copyright. Once they are released into the open domain, "plagiarism" no longer can apply.

Rasjid
This is incorrect, in the 1995 World Microcomputer Championship M-Chess Pro 5.0 won the tournament against Hiarcs with a hidden book inside the program, called "Tweaking". M-Chess Pro 5.0 did not come out of its hidden book until move 38 and was, so far ahead of Hiarcs the game was over. This is a classic case of cheating and nothing happened !

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Chan Rasjid wrote:
Books and computer codes have some intrinsic characteristics that should be considered when comparisons about them are made. A book is naturally open but computer source codes are proprietary and private by nature. It is for this reason that there is "open source" for computer codes and not needed for books. You simply cannot copy books as it infringes copyright and it is difficult to argue that "I ... somehow just wrote like J.K. Rowlings and the plots ... all turned out same... ". Source codes are very different regarding copyright. Once they are released into the open domain, "plagiarism" no longer can apply.

Rasjid
I am inclined to agree, but there's another issue to the release of very strong open source in that it puts a bomb into computer chess development, in particular for competing top commercials, but academics also.

Comp chess development has always been about pinching the latest strong ideas from the latest strong program(s), whether null move or LMS or whatever idea. For Crafty to remain competitive Bob also has to monitor developments in other programs and find a way to incorporate them into Crafty.

Now if strong open source is released that contains code and/or ideas that are necessary to use to keep up in the race, what are commercials to do? Not use it, because of some ridiculous GPL? Bye-bye commercials, which might be what Bob wants .....

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:Now if strong open source is released that contains code and/or ideas that are necessary to use to keep up in the race, what are commercials to do? Not use it, because of some ridiculous GPL? Bye-bye commercials, which might be what Bob wants .....
I think this argument is false. The GPL only impacts the issue of cut & paste. The ideas in GPL code can be coded from scratch without the resulting code being subject to GPL. But any pastiche of GPL code that is mixed with original work contaminates the original work. That would be subject to GPL.

This is why the GNU C library is not under GPL, but the LGPL which allows linking by non-free software. The GPL prevents a commercial programmer from exercising rights over code that doesn't belong to him.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Chan Rasjid wrote:

Rasjid
Depends on "how" it is released. The copyright holder can release source with any conditions he chooses...