[Poll] Is Ippolit Legal and (or) Ethical To Use/Distribute?

General discussion about computer chess...

What are your views on use/distribution of Ippolit?

Illegal/Unethical
10%
Legal/Unethical
9%
Illegal/Ethical
1%
Legal/Ethical
79%

Total votes: 77

kingliveson

[Poll] Is Ippolit Legal and (or) Ethical To Use/Distribute?

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:24 pm

In light of BB+'s 33 page detailed report on differences/similarities between Rybka and Ippolit, what are your thoughts regarding use and distribution? Do yo think the program is illegal or legal to use and distribute? What about ethics (not morals)?
The report can be found here http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: Is Ippolit Legal and (or) Ethical To Use/Distribute?

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:29 pm

kingliveson wrote:In light of BB+'s 33 page detailed report on differences/similarities between Rybka and Ippolit, what are your thoughts regarding use and distribution? Do yo think the program is illegal or legal to use and distributed? What about ethics (not morals)?
Presuming that the data presented in the report is accurate and verifiable, there are neither legal nor ethical issues here. Certainly the OpenOffice team wasn't accused of stealing bread from Bill Gates' table when they RE'd MSOffice to create their "clone". Pepsi vs. Coke, and so on. RE as a form of discovery is protected and SOP in every technical branch.

John Blake

Re: Is Ippolit Legal and (or) Ethical To Use/Distribute?

Post by John Blake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm not a programmer so I don't have the technical background to understand BB's report in detail, but it was still very informative.

In my opinion accusations ( from Vas etc.) without proof is empty words.

Chan Rasjid

Re: [Poll] Is Ippolit Legal and (or) Ethical To Use/Distribu

Post by Chan Rasjid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Unethical if the Ippolit author come forward to tell it is a RE job.

Michael Waesch

Post by Michael Waesch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Legal? Illegal?

Have you ever heard that a court decided a case where a chess programmer was accused of cloning the work of another chess programmer´s work?

I haven´t and I suppose I never will.

Mike

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:17 pm

kingliveson wrote:In light of BB+'s 33 page detailed report on differences/similarities between Rybka and Ippolit, what are your thoughts regarding use and distribution? Do yo think the program is illegal or legal to use and distribute? What about ethics (not morals)?
We don't know if there is a controlling NDA (non-disclosure agreement) between Rybka & Co. and the anonymous programmer(s). Therefore I was unable to cast a vote.

But barring an NDA, it seems legal and ethical.

I would like to add that I don't agree completely with the idea of NDAs per the FSF philosophy. But if you sign one, you are bound by contract law no matter what.

Gerold

Post by Gerold » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:29 pm

orgfert wrote:
kingliveson wrote:In light of BB+'s 33 page detailed report on differences/similarities between Rybka and Ippolit, what are your thoughts regarding use and distribution? Do yo think the program is illegal or legal to use and distribute? What about ethics (not morals)?
We don't know if there is a controlling NDA (non-disclosure agreement) between Rybka & Co. and the anonymous programmer(s). Therefore I was unable to cast a vote.

I would like to add that I don't agree completely with the idea of NDAs per the FSF philosophy. But if you sign one, you are bound by contract law no matter what.

Contracts can be broken. Depends if one or both persons in the agreement upholds the contracts.
I see no reason why Ippolit can't be used at this time. The report by BB is interesting but does not settle the case.
O.T. IMO at this time after testing, Houdini is number one at fast time control.( game in 5 minutes).

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Gerold wrote:
orgfert wrote:

Contracts can be broken. Depends if one or both persons in the agreement upholds the contracts.
I see no reason why Ippolit can't be used at this time. The report by BB is interesting but does not settle the case.
O.T. IMO at this time after testing, Houdini is number one at fast time control.( game in 5 minutes).
I think in any event there's no liability either legal or ethical for Ippo users. Only the parties to the NDA would be bound.

BTO7

Post by BTO7 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Great poll . In light of BB's paper and the fact i feel its true and honest ....for sure IPPO has done nothing wrong. Looks only the very few feel differently. Its good to have a place like OpenChess to clear the mud. Great job Jeremy ! Time for the rating guys to see the thread and fire up the IPPO family into the ratings. You would think with how boring it must be doing nothing but matches they would actually want to have some stronger engines to match with if only for the fun of it. Amazing Vas has had such a impact with only a play on words for the banning of these awesome engines.

Regards
BT

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:55 pm

BTO7 wrote:Great poll . In light of BB's paper and the fact i feel its true and honest ....for sure IPPO has done nothing wrong. Looks only the very few feel differently. Its good to have a place like OpenChess to clear the mud. Great job Jeremy ! Time for the rating guys to see the thread and fire up the IPPO family into the ratings. You would think with how boring it must be doing nothing but matches they would actually want to have some stronger engines to match with if only for the fun of it. Amazing Vas has had such a impact with only a play on words for the banning of these awesome engines.

Regards
BT
This poll is actually a clone of another on talkchess and the results are similar though not in the same scale.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen