"Computer Chess" screening (London)

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

"Computer Chess" screening (London)

Post by BB+ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:40 pm

From chessdom.com
“Computer Chess is a supremely intelligent, beautifully constructed film, interweaving comedy and character, satire and subtext, and loaded with more ideas than some filmmakers manage in a lifetime.” – Time Out

Synopsis: Set over the course of a weekend tournament for chess software programmers circa 1980, Computer Chess transports viewers to a nostalgic moment when the contest between technology and the human spirit seemed a little more up for grabs. We get to know the eccentric geniuses possessed of the vision to teach a metal box to defeat man, literally, at his own game, laying the groundwork for artificial intelligence as we know it and will come to know it in the future.

The film by Director Andrew Bujalski will be screened at 8.30pm next Tuesday 29th July, at The Pickle Factory – located opposite Oval Space at 13-14 The Oval E2 9DT in London, UK.

Doors open at 7.30pm. Tickets £6 in advance or £7 on the door.
http://www.ovalspace.co.uk/events/view/ ... ter-chess/

hyatt

Re: "Computer Chess" screening (London)

Post by hyatt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 pm

My take after watching this a while back. If you had the film on a table in front of you, it would not be worth the cost of the match you use to set the film on fire and watch it burn. I don't know what it is supposed to be, but it is NOT any sort of depiction whatsoever of early computer chess tournaments. I was at almost every one, and played in most. What that film is about I have no idea, but it is not about any sort of computer chess event I have ever attended. It seems to mix up lots of things, like one programmer demanding to see the log file from another (shades of Deep Blue and Kasparov) and such. Drugs everywhere? None I ever saw.

marcelk

Post by marcelk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am

There is a version with Murray Campbell's narrative over it, explaining the events and backgrounds. He clearly relates to it. Very much recommended.

ernest

Post by ernest » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:41 pm

marcelk wrote:There is a version with Murray Campbell's narrative over it,
Where is it ?

marcelk

Post by marcelk » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:12 am

ernest wrote:
marcelk wrote:There is a version with Murray Campbell's narrative over it,
Where is it ?
https://computer.vhx.tv/buy

ernest

Post by ernest » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 am

Seems you have to buy the film if you want to see Campbell's commentary !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: