Beliavsky on computers

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

Beliavsky on computers

Post by BB+ » Wed May 20, 2015 7:36 am

From an interview a month ago:
E.SUROV: And you are actively using the computer?
A.BELYAVSKY: Absolutely. Now in general, no preparation is possible without the aid of the computer. Both the database, which enables the second to gather material so quickly, and the engine, which allows you to speed up the analysis of numerous positions.

E.SUROV: I will clarify my question. Right now, coaches are divided into two categories. As a rule, the older trainers, however much they use the computer, tend to operate by schemes, saying stuff like "Look at this game between Botvinnik - Taimanov 1960", for example. And then there are younger coaches, who barely know these names, and are certainly not oriented on the plans and ideas shown, for example, in Botvinnik's games. Which category are you in?
A.BELYAVSKY: I knew Botvinnik, we became friends from the moment we met and remained so until his death. So I know how it was in the days of Botvinnik. And indeed, when we discussed, for example, any opening system, Botvinnik would say to me: "Look at Capablanca's game in 1927 at such-and-such a tournament." This was true. Because at that time there were no computers, and the strongest chess players learned the right plan in a position by learning from each other. And now the situation has changed dramatically, now any engine is stronger than the world champion. The computer can help find a good line, and then the task of the coach is to explain things in words, in clear human language. Of course, there are positions where it is useless to explain, because the position is purely tactical in nature - punch, kick, kick.

E.SUROV: But those "human words" for example, you probably take more from the knowledge of the pre-computer era?
A.BELYAVSKY: Absolutely. But the fact is that if, as you say, completely reject the computer and rely solely on the knowledge that was when there was no computer – well, I want to say that this time is gone forever.

E.SUROV: And it makes you sad?
A.BELYAVSKY: No, because I have already adapted to the new situation.

E.SUROV: You generally adapt?
A.BELYAVSKY: Yes, I adapt to new situations.