Nakamura on computers

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

Nakamura on computers

Post by BB+ » Fri May 22, 2015 6:14 am

From Feb 2014: http://interviewly.com/i/hikaru-nakamur ... 014-reddit
Jack wrote: Hey, I was wondering how big of a role computers play in your chess life. How much and in what ways do you use them when studying chess? Do you ever play against them as practice? What do you think we can learn from computer chess and what can't we?
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:Hello Jack, your question is very pertinent not only to my chess career but the very future of chess as well. I would say that nowadays, when I study, computers comprise 90% overall.

I do not play against computers anymore because it is severely depressing to lose every game without ever even having a chance!

I think mainly what can be learned from computers is a deeper understanding that almost all positions are ok with accurate play. In the past, many people assumed certain positions were automatically bad, but computers have shown that the rules and thought processes aren't always accurate!
HIkaru Nakamura wrote:At this point, opening theory is here to stay. The only question is whether there is room for the game to grow with unexplored ideas and options or whether computers will have the opposite effect and limit the options.
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:The only two aspects of chess which humans are better at are: blocked positions where only one side has a break due to the long term concept and ideas which are beyond a computer horizon and secondly, pure attacks like in the Kings Indian.
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:I am not sure if a computer on a cell phone could beat the top humans, but any laptop would be more than sufficient to trounce us pitiful humans into oblivion!
Dopey Questioner wrote: Hi. What's the big deal about playing against a computer? I am asking this because of the famous Kasparov vs Deep Blue match. I see it only as a huge advertising for IBM. Because there is no really a point in trying to beat a computer, all the fun in chess it to see a struggle between human minds. What do you think about it? Would you have fun against a computer, or you too consider it just a promotional gimmick?
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:I would have my ego crushed into a pulp if I played a computer :)
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:I already gave a general response to a schedule during a week. As for specifics, I think it's probably 80% openings 10% endgames, 10% reviewing your games.
Hikaru Nakamura wrote:Most of my non chess time (excluding minor activities) is spent on trading derivatives in the stock market, so I do often consider whether that would be a more logical career.
Houdini Lover wrote: Which engine(s) do you use? Houdini? How much do you trust the engine's assessment when doing home opening prep, do you think "Ok this position is fine according to Houdini, I can stop here and figure it out over the board"?
Hikaru Nakamura (Feb 2014) wrote:Houdini is GOD. This is the mindset of any chessplayer. However, very often just the evaluation is not enough because you still need to understand why Houdini says the position is equal. For example, what's the idea or plan.

Rebel

Re: Nakamura on computers

Post by Rebel » Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 am

Hikaru Nakamura wrote:I do not play against computers anymore because it is severely depressing to lose every game without ever even having a chance!
8-)

I predicted after the DB victory over Kasparov (in 1997) that the day would come headlines screaming "the computer" losing one single game to GM xyz as the big role reversed news. It's not so far away any longer and I certainly didn't expect to see it happening only 18 years later. What an amazing progress.