Heat Map

General discussion about computer chess...
blackslate

Heat Map

Post by blackslate » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am

Hello OpenChess Folk!

This is my first post here, so I won't include images or links which might make the system think I'm spamming : )
I have a background in front-end programming, but little experience yet in working with chess.

Is there any existing application that shows the "heat map" of a chess game? By this, I mean: a display where the squares that are safe to move to are shown in a "safe" colour (green for example), and the squares that are controlled by the opponent are shown in an aggressive colour (such as red). Neutral squares could be grey. I believe that this would be very useful for learners who want to see where the strengths and weaknesses of their current position are.

I can imagine also that the size of each piece could reflect the usefulness of that piece in its current position. For example, a knight in a corner would appear smaller than a knight in the centre, to indicate that it range of action is reduced. A piece that is pinned would be smaller than if it were not pinned. A piece that can be used in the current move to mate the opponent could appear larger.

As I understand it, chess engines tend to calculate a global score for the current position of the game. Are there any that do this by assigning a score to each square and each piece, and then create an aggregate score from that? If so, then it may be easy to adapt an existing engine to make these individual scores visible. If not, perhaps there are articles that you can recommend as a starting point for understanding the issues involved.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

James

thorstenczub

Re: Heat Map

Post by thorstenczub » Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

One upon a time chess system tal invented a lot of graphical images to show the search tree.

It’s long time ago, chess system tal was a dos program.

User923005

Post by User923005 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

blackslate wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am
Hello OpenChess Folk!

This is my first post here, so I won't include images or links which might make the system think I'm spamming : )
I have a background in front-end programming, but little experience yet in working with chess.

Is there any existing application that shows the "heat map" of a chess game? By this, I mean: a display where the squares that are safe to move to are shown in a "safe" colour (green for example), and the squares that are controlled by the opponent are shown in an aggressive colour (such as red). Neutral squares could be grey. I believe that this would be very useful for learners who want to see where the strengths and weaknesses of their current position are.

I can imagine also that the size of each piece could reflect the usefulness of that piece in its current position. For example, a knight in a corner would appear smaller than a knight in the centre, to indicate that it range of action is reduced. A piece that is pinned would be smaller than if it were not pinned. A piece that can be used in the current move to mate the opponent could appear larger.

As I understand it, chess engines tend to calculate a global score for the current position of the game. Are there any that do this by assigning a score to each square and each piece, and then create an aggregate score from that? If so, then it may be easy to adapt an existing engine to make these individual scores visible. If not, perhaps there are articles that you can recommend as a starting point for understanding the issues involved.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

James
I have something like that, with a tool my friend Les Fernandez made for me.
It is not exactly what you are looking for, but let me explain it.
It is a map (by colors or numerically) of where the chessmen moved when the outcomes were what you select.
So, for instance, you can ask it what were the moves by black bishops in the first ten moves for black when black won?
Here is a sample of what it looks like. If you hover the cursor over a square it gives you the actual count for that square. You can also show the values numerically.
heatmap.png
Heatmap, showing where white's bishops were located for white wins, over the total duration of the game. Derived from Online Masters Correspondence pgn file.

User923005

Post by User923005 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Here is the numerical version of the same thing
numerically.png
This version shows the numbers instead of the colors