Better GUI for the FICS

General discussion about computer chess...
Ted Summers

Better GUI for the FICS

Post by Ted Summers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Is there any work being done on a new or better GUI for the FICS? The formula that Playchess uses seems to work very well. It's easy to install and use even for most new users. I like Jinn, and I have tried Babas, but don't feel that they are new user friendly and I guess I could say the same about Scid and Arena when it comes to the FICS. Babas's GUI just seems to complex with all it's features it does not feel to have a good layout to me. I really do like the FICS and would play there more if only I had a better interface to use. Hell even ChessPlanet is not bad if you use Aquarium. If Arena improves the FICS side of things it would more than likely be my GUI of choice. Anyway here is hoping! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Zarkon

Re: Better GUI for the FICS

Post by Zarkon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 pm

One other fairly decent one http://code.google.com/p/raptor-chess-interface/, aside from Babaschess and Jin.

They're nowhere near as sophisticated as Playchess, but I still prefer to play on FICS - a console and a chess board, what more do you need? :D

Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Zarkon wrote:One other fairly decent one http://code.google.com/p/raptor-chess-interface/, aside from Babaschess and Jin.

They're nowhere near as sophisticated as Playchess, but I still prefer to play on FICS - a console and a chess board, what more do you need? :D
Thanks, I must of been living under a very huge rock because this is the 1st time I have heard anything about this GUI!

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Ted Summers wrote:
Zarkon wrote:One other fairly decent one http://code.google.com/p/raptor-chess-interface/, aside from Babaschess and Jin.

Thanks, I must of been living under a very huge rock because this is the 1st time I have heard anything about this GUI!

Actually there are lots of GUI's for FICS. Icarus used to be popular in the past. I thought a lot of softwares for FICS don't allow Premoves.
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:18 am

My favorite GUI for FICS was Thief. Very good especially for blitz and bullet users. Also supports engines as well I think...

menniepals

Post by menniepals » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:43 am

Playchess is fancy. But there are features like in Blitzin that probably Jin or Babas Chess might use.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm

babaschess is the goto FICS gui for me unless when am interested in engine matches then Arena is used.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen