World CPU chess champion

General discussion about computer chess...
Zherkovv

Re: World CPU chess champion

Post by Zherkovv » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks for bringing this up :D
These parameters are extremely strong,indeed this personality is stronger than Deep Rybka 4 at long time controls....I have another one which is as strong if not even stronger,but need more time for testing....
Dr.D
Your welcome.
When you are ready with testing can you plz. let us know the new settings! Much obliged.
With kind regards,
Zherkovv.

Zherkovv

Post by Zherkovv » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:51 pm

These parameters are extremely strong,indeed this personality is stronger than Deep Rybka 4 at long time controls....I have another one which is as strong if not even stronger,but need more time for testing....
Dr.D
Your welcome.

I'm looking forward for the new settings!

With kind regards,
Zherkovv.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Zherkovv wrote:
Dr.D
Your welcome.
When you are ready with testing can you plz. let us know the new settings! Much obliged.
With kind regards,
Zherkovv.
I will....

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

notyetagm wrote:
Peter C wrote:I highly recommend you check out Houdini, which is similar to Fire but different and stronger.

It's currently just ahead of Rybka 4 on the rating list.
http://www.inwoba.de/bayeselo.html

Peter
IvanHoe T52 just came out.

http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=517

Let the debate continue! :-)
Heh, let's throw Dr. Deeb's Fire 1.1 settings in also.....

IvanHoe will probably pass Houdini sometime soon (I dunno if T52 has or not), simply because it is updated so frequently.
However Houdini's updates come with much larger rating gains.

Drog1966

Post by Drog1966 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 am

Hmm,so the great legends of the past are no longer contenders in the top 5 or maybe even 10. Fritz,shredder.junior,hiarcs,i mean lets face it,with the Arena GUI.and freely available super engines, how long can the category of engines listed above still justify charging the prices they do.browse around chessbase website.these programs are very expensive,me on my soapbox but its time someone told these developers,HELLO,theres free software out there better than the stuff we fleecing money off people for, they have had there glory.(cats out of the bag)now really alls they could justify a menial cost for is there GUI really. and lets face it chessbases gui isn't really much better than Arena if not at all,

Uly

Post by Uly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Drog1966 wrote:how long can the category of engines listed above still justify charging the prices they do
It's justified because it maximizes profits, that is, if those programs were cheaper or more expensive, they'd be losing money, so it makes the most sense to charge that even if "the engines aren't worth that money".

On the other hand we have Stockfish, clear top 2 engine, where a lot of people would be willing to pay for it, but the programmers give it for free as they would not want their hobby to become their work.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Drog1966 wrote:how long can the category of engines listed above still justify charging the prices they do
It's justified because it maximizes profits, that is, if those programs were cheaper or more expensive, they'd be losing money, so it makes the most sense to charge that even if "the engines aren't worth that money".

On the other hand we have Stockfish, clear top 2 engine, where a lot of people would be willing to pay for it, but the programmers give it for free as they would not want their hobby to become their work.
Stockfish isn't clear top 2....there are several engines and their personalities setting on the top of it....
Dr.D

Uly

Post by Uly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Those don't count, if I can take some open source engine and change a few lines of code and make a top 2 engine, it must not count, as otherwise 100 people could do the same and make Stockfish drop till top 101 engine, which makes no sense.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Ovyron wrote:Those don't count, if I can take some open source engine and change a few lines of code and make a top 2 engine, it must not count, as otherwise 100 people could do the same and make Stockfish drop till top 101 engine, which makes no sense.
Sticking to this logic ,yes,you are totally right....
So the issue here is rating lists that ban certain engines because of their suspecious origin....now that's another story to talk about....
Note that the authors of Stockfish has looked into the Ippo family source code and took several ideas lately used in the stockfish engine....they admitted this in the CCC forum and of course there's nothing wrong with that as long as they didn't copy and paste....
Never the less,these engines are cursed,insulted and banned without the existence of a solid foundation to do so....
Dr.D