POLL: Whether Houdini Is An Original Work?

General discussion about computer chess...

Whether Houdini Is An Original Work?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 60

Sean Evans

Re: POLL: Whether Houdini Is An Original Work?

Post by Sean Evans » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Dr. Ivannik wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Originality

As the computer chess community seems to be hung-up on the definition of clone as is lacks clarity, I will start another poll.

The crux of the issue is: "Whether Houdini Is An Original Work That Is Eligible To Compete in the 2010 WCCC?"

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Gentlemen

"Whether Houdini Is An Original Work That Is Eligible To Compete in the 2010 WCCC?" Is Irrelevant many players and comrades
would prefer to see the best engines play to determine a champion. The 2010 WCCC can gain status and integrity by allowing
all engines, and losing this clone issue so we can determine a engine champ. It's seems simple. You can't have a championship without the champ!!

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik
Hi,

The good doctor has got his beak into the Russian Wodka again....congratulations, you just won the most nonsensical post contest! And that is saying something considering the nonsense the Houdini fanboys are spewing :lol:

Cordially,

Sean

Uly

Post by Uly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Yeah Dr. Ivannik, you're basically saying that it's okay to make an enhanced copy of Crafty without Robert Hyatt's permission and enter it on the WCCC instead of Crafty. That's just wrong.

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 am

Ovyron wrote:Yeah Dr. Ivannik, you're basically saying that it's okay to make an enhanced copy of Crafty without Robert Hyatt's permission and enter it on the WCCC instead of Crafty. That's just wrong.
Gentlemen

Personally I would never copy code or mess with anyone's program. However, once someone else does it and names it Deep Rasputin or whatever
and makes it possible to download I am more than happy to copy it into my engine file and I pray it is strong enough to become my new analysis engine.
All of this is progress toward the ultimate goal of creating stronger engines. Soon many new rating lists will appear with names of engines new and powerful, once these engines are out they have to be dealt with. Let the Revolution continue!!!!

Thank you

Dr.Ivannik

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:07 am

What revolution? Imagine if all the original engine developers quit because nobody pays attention to their engines, all people would just be interested on their clones, so why bother?

Soon the cloners would run out of material and the whole computer chess scene would stall.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 am

Dr. Ivannik wrote:
Ovyron wrote:Yeah Dr. Ivannik, you're basically saying that it's okay to make an enhanced copy of Crafty without Robert Hyatt's permission and enter it on the WCCC instead of Crafty. That's just wrong.
Gentlemen

Personally I would never copy code or mess with anyone's program. However, once someone else does it and names it Deep Rasputin or whatever
and makes it possible to download I am more than happy to copy it into my engine file and I pray it is strong enough to become my new analysis engine.
All of this is progress toward the ultimate goal of creating stronger engines. Soon many new rating lists will appear with names of engines new and powerful, once these engines are out they have to be dealt with. Let the Revolution continue!!!!

Thank you

Dr.Ivannik

I am not following the above. If various people start to copy great literary works, will we then enter a new literary revolution? Is there any "art" in copying, as opposed to actually "creating"?

This viewpoint is a _really_ distorted one...

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 pm

hyatt wrote:
Dr. Ivannik wrote:
Gentlemen

Thank you

Dr.Ivannik

I am not following the above. If various people start to copy great literary works, will we then enter a new literary revolution? Is there any "art" in copying, as opposed to actually "creating"?

Exactly, the ends don't justify the means.

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Charles wrote:
hyatt wrote:
Dr. Ivannik wrote:
Gentlemen

Thank you

Dr.Ivannik

Exactly, the ends don't justify the means.

Gentlemen

What must be understood is that I agree with everything that has been said contradicting my position. All I said was personally I have no reservations using,analyzing or possessing programs whose source is questionable. For everyone! everyone who commented above have you guys analyzed with, used, possessed these engines in your engine file too, I suspect you have, if so get off your high horse. My biggest concern is the programmer who has a legit product that's not a clone or derivative of any product and who remains anonymous. His product is only a hobby and cares little whether its for sale on Chessbase, shows up on the Swedish chess rating list or is eligible to participate in the WCCC. Is the chess community ready to accept these new pioneers who will progress the engine development far more than the current commercial programmers. Upon reading the current posts in these forums I think the witch hunt will continue.

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 pm

What is your view on piracy Dr. Ivannik? Is it also okay? Because there's not much difference in decompiling a commercial engine, adding 15 elo, and releasing it to everyone, and just taking the commercial engine and releasing it to everyone.

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 am

Ovyron wrote:What is your view on piracy Dr. Ivannik? Is it also okay? Because there's not much difference in decompiling a commercial engine, adding 15 elo, and releasing it to everyone, and just taking the commercial engine and releasing it to everyone.
Ovyron

I don't have a particular position on these issues as they don't really interest me. I have never "pirated", "decompiled" or "released" anything to anyone.
As for your above post I am not setting before the jury. I don't understand the implications. I am a strong player only interested in the next strong engine.
As for you I recently came across the post seen below. Bizarre how you can take your stance on this issues & wonder when Fire 1.4 will be released & what we should call it. Soon it will be available for download and my bet is it will be in your engine file just like mine!!!

Re: Any news about Fire 1.4?
by Ovyron » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm

kranium wrote:
Fire 1.4 may/could become Fire xTreme?

"New name looking weird around here, what about Fire Xtreem? (should have same pronunciation)."

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:11 am

Yes, but I own Rybka legally, I oppose the release of such engines to ALL the people. I'm from the people that thinks it's unclear if the ip* engines are legitimate, if so, there is a risk they're just modified pirate Rybka (in the way they're being released).