A public thanks to Robert Houdart

General discussion about computer chess...
JohnS

A public thanks to Robert Houdart

Post by JohnS » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 am

I want to thank Robert for providing us with a very strong, if not the strongest, chess engine for free. Robert has behaved in an excellent manner despite numerous attacks from some members of this forum.

He has not asked for money for Houdini, and has responded to feedback in short order as the fix for the MPV bug in version 1.03 shows. Some commercial authors have been much worse at costumer feedback (eg the Rybka 3 bug fix fiasco).

So please Robert, ignore the noisy few and accept the thanks of those of us who appreciate your work.

John

xshat

Re: A public thanks to Robert Houdart

Post by xshat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 am

JohnS wrote:I want to thank Robert for providing us with a very strong, if not the strongest, chess engine for free. Robert has behaved in an excellent manner despite numerous attacks from some members of this forum.

He has not asked for money for Houdini, and has responded to feedback in short order as the fix for the MPV bug in version 1.03 shows. Some commercial authors have been much worse at costumer feedback (eg the Rybka 3 bug fix fiasco).

So please Robert, ignore the noisy few and accept the thanks of those of us who appreciate your work.

John
I also appreciate his work and would say that along with Firebird and Ivanhoe, Houdini is currently the best of the best. Thanks for giving us an anti-capitalist rybka-killer Robert.

SilvianRx

Post by SilvianRx » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 am

xshat wrote: Thanks for giving us an anti-capitalist rybka-killer Robert.
Killer ?
Oh , no Robert !
Please give us a life lover !

[gruesome image removed]

Explanation : Rybka after a tête à tête with Houdini !

:ugeek: :lol: :ugeek:
I love you guys !

michael13

Post by michael13 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 am

yeah i also thank you sir robert houdini is excellente

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Indeed the chess player appreciates Robert's fantastic chess engine Houdini. No chess engine can find holes in Grandmaster analysis like this engine.

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:44 pm

JohnS wrote:I want to thank Robert for providing us with a very strong, if not the strongest, chess engine for free. Robert has behaved in an excellent manner despite numerous attacks from some members of this forum.

John
Mr. Houdart,

Great job. Ignore the haters.

BTO7

Post by BTO7 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Robert. Your time, effort and attention to detail in this amazing engine is very much appreciated. A very respectable author to say the least and again thank you for the best free or otherwise engine available today. A remarkable accomplishment.

Regards
BT

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Robert, on behalf of the computer chess community I would like to publicly thank you for copying and pasting other programmers work and then claiming it as your own original work. Keep up the good work :lol:

Cordially,

Sean Evans :roll:

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Houdini is a great engine. Cheers for Robert.

And a word for people like Sean Evans. Evan if Houdini uses some ideas from the freely available source codes who gives a sh*t. It would really be ridiculous not too. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Shredder, HIarcs, Stockfish etc. etc. haven't examined these codes and used the ideas in thier own engines. Yes the people who originally decompiled Rybka.......if this was the case should be ridiculed, but the cats outta the bag. You would have to be an imbecile programmer to just ignore these codes and start from scratch. Once the wheels invented you don't keep reinventing it, you perfect it. All engines are built on the failures and strength of thier predecessors. So if your gonna start ridiculing Houdini I guess we should ridicule the 95% of top engines that have ideas from Fruit in thier code.

By the way Robert you ever thought about coding a GUI for Houdini. The chess community could really use a good GUI. You seem like the kind of guy that listens to his users. This could result in a good useable analysis tool for Houdini.........anyways food for thought. Cheers.

noctiferus

Post by noctiferus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Hi Robert, on behalf of the computer chess community :lol: Sean Evans :roll:
Who gave you the authority to speak for the whole chess community?
I didn't see any voting. My fault?