Comparision C2/Phenom2/i7

General discussion about computer chess...
IWB

Comparision C2/Phenom2/i7

Post by IWB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello all

As I am not happy with the standard Benchmarks to compare a CPU I run a bit of a more extensive Test with 20 Single Engines. This is the result:

The colored numbers at the end might help calculation your desired speed.

The AMD 6 core 1055T in this test is running with 0.1V below the specification by AMD. With a 29€ air cooler it is at 40°C when all 6 cores are running! Looking at the price of this it isnt the worst choise!

Bye
Ingo

PS: It seems there is a bug in the fora software when displaying a picture :-)
Ponder ON rating list: http://www.inwoba.de

Vael Jean-Paul

Re: Comparision C2/Phenom2/i7

Post by Vael Jean-Paul » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

If you do same test and running with all real cores..the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T with a overclock like Milos say @3.7Ghz will get the highest nodes!

This cpu is the best Chess/Performance/Price cpu from today!

Next one maybe the Bulldozer...price?

JP.

robbolito

Post by robbolito » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 pm

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor 6x @3.895
Another not that expensive chip that can be overclocked to almost 3.9 Ghz.

IWB

Post by IWB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Here is the same list with 4 core engines:

What is intersting:

While the Phenom was 6% slower with the same clock it is 7% faster with 4 cores! Even the distance to the i7 is geting closer by 2%.
When assuming the C2 as a gold standard, the differences on the Phenom for a quad are up to 46% and for the i7 even 78% ...

These differences in speed between the Core2 and the Phenom and even more the i7 is huge (78% is more than another doubeling of the cores)! The CPUs are so different, that an adaption of different speeds for a rating list by changing a time level is impossible when MP engines are tested vs different CPU architectures!

Even for single engines on different hardware there is a gap between engines of 20% which can not be addapted with an adaption of time, but 20% might be accepted as "noise" by someone.

Bye
Ingo

PS: Still the bug with the pictures, sorry.
Ponder ON rating list: http://www.inwoba.de

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks so much for this spreadsheet.

I am thinking about buying a Phenom II X6 HP Elite system and was wondering what the performance degradation would be relative to Intel's latest i7 980 six-core monster. This spreadsheet helps.

The AMD Phenom II X6 is an amazing bargain, incredible speed for the price.

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Vael Jean-Paul wrote:If you do same test and running with all real cores..the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T with a overclock like Milos say @3.7Ghz will get the highest nodes!

This cpu is the best Chess/Performance/Price cpu from today!

Next one maybe the Bulldozer...price?

JP.
Yes, the AMD Bulldozer may be the Next Big Thing when it comes out in 2011.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/category/bulldozer/

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:57 pm

robbolito wrote:AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor 6x @3.895
Another not that expensive chip that can be overclocked to almost 3.9 Ghz.
How hard is it to overclock? That is, what steps do you have to take to perform the overclocking?

Do you just add a fan to the case to keep it cool and move some jumpers on the motherboard to raise the bus speed?

Thanks

Sentinel

Post by Sentinel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

notyetagm wrote:How hard is it to overclock? That is, what steps do you have to take to perform the overclocking?

Do you just add a fan to the case to keep it cool and move some jumpers on the motherboard to raise the bus speed?
1055T is very easy, take an Asus board and setup all the multipliers directly in BIOS. There is no separate CPU multiplier, so when increasing motherboard main multiplier, you should reduce multipliers for bridges and memory. Voltage you can keep more less the same, or just slightly increase. All this with the stock cooler.
1090 is even more simple since it has (unlocked) main CPU clock multiplier. You just select some higher multiplier that gives for example 3.9GHz and voila your OC is done.

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Sentinel wrote:
notyetagm wrote:How hard is it to overclock? That is, what steps do you have to take to perform the overclocking?

1055T is very easy, take an Asus board and setup all the multipliers directly in BIOS. There is no separate CPU multiplier, so when increasing motherboard main multiplier, you should reduce multipliers for bridges and memory. Voltage you can keep more less the same, or just slightly increase. All this with the stock cooler.
1090 is even more simple since it has (unlocked) main CPU clock multiplier. You just select some higher multiplier that gives for example 3.9GHz and voila your OC is done.
Thanks for the quick response.

So for a newbie like me, it seems that the way to go is to get the easy-to-overclock Phantom II X6 1090.

Dumb question: for the 1090, how do I " just select some higher multiplier that gives for example 3.9GHz"?

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:17 pm

An excellent analysis of the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2 ... -edition/1