How to post chess games

General discussion about computer chess...
64x

Re: How to post chess games

Post by 64x » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:39 am

You are right... thank you!

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:28 am

pgn4web wrote:
Yes. That was the intent.
D8 gives you the full PGN as posted, with all games included and with comments.
C8 gives you the PGN of the current game, with comments.
B8 gives you the FEN of the current position. When producing that, I thought that people would likely paste the FEN in their chess software to analyze, so I thought it would be a good idea to add the following moves (still you could have loaded the PGN of the game instead, but I wanted to make people's life easier).

If B8 were to give the comments, I'd suspect someone would ask why I left out the preceding moves... then B8 would become the same as C8 :-(
Thanks for the nice web app. I think the program is quite complete. One issue though, that is error popups. Would it be better to try/catch error of invalid strings/input and just ignore it instead?
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:16 pm

kingliveson wrote:Thanks for the nice web app. I think the program is quite complete. One issue though, that is error popups. Would it be better to try/catch error of invalid strings/input and just ignore it instead?
depends... for many exceptions that is what happens.

however, I would expect that if you post a game you should have the decency of previewing your post and make sure it does not generate any exeption. for that purpose the tool lets you know what's wrong and needs fixing.
this leaves you free to post a bogus chessboard with popup errors annoying to everyone... that's life, a user could time and again post obscenities... then you terminate the account of who is not behaving properly.

if I hide the exceptions, how would you know that your PGN data is not correct?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 pm

pgn4web wrote:
kingliveson wrote:Thanks for the nice web app. I think the program is quite complete. One issue though, that is error popups. Would it be better to try/catch error of invalid strings/input and just ignore it instead?
depends... for many exceptions that is what happens.

however, I would expect that if you post a game you should have the decency of previewing your post and make sure it does not generate any exeption. for that purpose the tool lets you know what's wrong and needs fixing.
this leaves you free to post a bogus chessboard with popup errors annoying to everyone... that's life, a user could time and again post obscenities... then you terminate the account of who is not behaving properly.

if I hide the exceptions, how would you know that your PGN data is not correct?
Some of the exceptions are not necessarily errors -- is just that the functions wants input (full fen string for example) and when it's null, the error popups. Yes, you'd think people would preview a text before posting it, but as we've seen, that's not the case.

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm

kingliveson wrote:Some of the exceptions are not necessarily errors -- is just that the functions wants input (full fen string for example) and when it's null, the error popups. Yes, you'd think people would preview a text before posting it, but as we've seen, that's not the case.
Well... passing an incomplete FEN string, to me, it is an error.
How to handle the error depends on the application and on your user base, I guess.

It seems we have a different opinion how to handle those errors; fortunately it's not too difficult to adapt to your preferences.
Most of those error messages (apart from very few critical ones) are generated using a function called myAlert().
You can easily make that function silent taking care in one shot of all the error popups, without having to run around the code to find the next one.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:24 pm

pgn4web wrote:
kingliveson wrote:Some of the exceptions are not necessarily errors -- is just that the functions wants input (full fen string for example) and when it's null, the error popups. Yes, you'd think people would preview a text before posting it, but as we've seen, that's not the case.
Well... passing an incomplete FEN string, to me, it is an error.
How to handle the error depends on the application and on your user base, I guess.

It seems we have a different opinion how to handle those errors; fortunately it's not too difficult to adapt to your preferences.
Most of those error messages (apart from very few critical ones) are generated using a function called myAlert().
You can easily make that function silent taking care in one shot of all the error popups, without having to run around the code to find the next one.
My post probably should have been directed to Jeremy. You are right that those error catches should be left as is to correct issues. But each site can always customize the module to fit its needs.

Uly

Post by Uly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm

If the PGN contains an error, the tag should just not work.

UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Ovyron wrote:If the PGN contains an error, the tag should just not work.
Agreed, it would be nice if it quietly displayed an error message in the chessboard's place.
I find it annoying to open several threads in background tabs and have one pop to the foreground because an alert thought it needed my attention. Sure, it needs the attention, but (IMO) from the poster and not the reader.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 am

Seems to be a bug that causes moves ending with + (check) to generate an error that prevents advancing beyond that move... It seems to specifically affect only pawn moves, such as c4+ while piece checks seem to be OK.

Anyone else noticed this?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:52 am

hyatt wrote:Seems to be a bug that causes moves ending with + (check) to generate an error that prevents advancing beyond that move... It seems to specifically affect only pawn moves, such as c4+ while piece checks seem to be OK.

Anyone else noticed this?
Just noticed now that you said it. I posted a list of pgns and one has this bug.