How to post chess games

General discussion about computer chess...
pgn4web

Re: How to post chess games

Post by pgn4web » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Just a quick note. I've updated the pgn4web software to the 2.55 latest/greatest and added in my board coords, side-to-move and game selection fixes.
Could you please change the pgn4web_version variable at the beginning of pgn4web.js, like you did for your previous version, to something like 2.55_OC1? It would make it easier for me to answer question from users that might have copied your file instead of the original 2.55 from my site. Thanks.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 am

pgn4web wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Just a quick note. I've updated the pgn4web software to the 2.55 latest/greatest and added in my board coords, side-to-move and game selection fixes.
Could you please change the pgn4web_version variable at the beginning of pgn4web.js, like you did for your previous version, to something like 2.55_OC1? It would make it easier for me to answer question from users that might have copied your file instead of the original 2.55 from my site. Thanks.
Done, thanks.

orion54

Post by orion54 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi - totally new to this forum, please be gentle, thx.

May I please download the latest pgn4web? If I may do so, where is the link? When I click the .zip file link from a few posts ago, a messages says I'm not authorized for that link.

And of course I don't know if that link from a few posts back is even the latest version, given the more recent posts.

I would just use the "main" version at http://code.google.com/p/pgn4web/ but am interested in showing board coords, a side-on-move indicator, and am interested in the puzzle mode mentioned somewhere in these threads

Thanks for any help/info :)

Bruce

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:58 pm

orion54 wrote:May I please download the latest pgn4web?
As author of the main pgn4web project, I just wanted to clarify about pgn4web versions: the latest pgn4web is the one you have at the download link from http://pgn4web.casaschi.net This one will have a version number such as x.xx, currently 2.59

Jeremy, the admin of this forum made some additional modifications on the official version of pgn4web and published those on this forum with a version number such as x.xxocx, currently 2.55oc1. I believe he only changed the main pgn4web.js file and you can get Jeremy's file from this link: pgn4web/pgn4web.js
Currently available as 2.55oc1 this is a modified version of the original pgn4web 2.55; in order to use that modified version you should download the old version 2.55 of the official pgn4web release and then replace the pgn4web.js file.
orion54 wrote:I would just use the "main" version at http://code.google.com/p/pgn4web/ but am interested in showing board coords, a side-on-move indicator, and am interested in the puzzle mode mentioned somewhere in these threads
The puzzle mode is part of the official pgn4web version. Board coordinates are available only in Jeremy's modified version.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 am

pgn4web updated to 2.65(OC1) from 2.56(OC1). Please let me know if you notice any problems.

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:pgn4web updated to 2.65(OC1) from 2.56(OC1). Please let me know if you notice any problems.
Try this if you like it, it's not enabled by default on board.html, but it should be on a computer chess board.

In file board.html locate the line loading pgn4web.js and add the new line with engine.js as shown below:

Code: Select all

<script src="pgn4web.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="engine.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
If you do that when you click on square E8 a popup window should appear with a (javascript) engine analyzing the position. On the analysis board you can try moves by clicking from/to squares.

zullil

Post by zullil » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am

pgn4web wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:pgn4web updated to 2.65(OC1) from 2.56(OC1). Please let me know if you notice any problems.
Try this if you like it, it's not enabled by default on board.html, but it should be on a computer chess board.

In file board.html locate the line loading pgn4web.js and add the new line with engine.js as shown below:

If you do that when you click on square E8 a popup window should appear with a (javascript) engine analyzing the position. On the analysis board you can try moves by clicking from/to squares.
This is an excellent feature; I've used it several time already at another site. Thank you.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 am

pgn4web wrote:

I do like it. Enabled, thanks for the excellent work.

jb

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:I do like it. Enabled, thanks for the excellent work.
Just do not expect too much accuracy from a javascript engine (it's garbochess, the best in javascript but a browser is not as fast as a native engine).

Note that I translate garbochess evaluations into the chess informant symbols: -+ -/+ =/+ = +/= +/- +-
However I recently realized that the evaluation threshold values I used in v2.65 are probably not much accurate. In engine.html the values 3.95/1.35/0.35 have been now changed to 1.85/0.85/0.25, you might want to change those manually.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm

pgn4web wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:I do like it. Enabled, thanks for the excellent work.
Just do not expect too much accuracy from a javascript engine (it's garbochess, the best in javascript but a browser is not as fast as a native engine).

Note that I translate garbochess evaluations into the chess informant symbols: -+ -/+ =/+ = +/= +/- +-
However I recently realized that the evaluation threshold values I used in v2.65 are probably not much accurate. In engine.html the values 3.95/1.35/0.35 have been now changed to 1.85/0.85/0.25, you might want to change those manually.
Thanks, done. Understood re: accuracy. Nevertheless, it's a great convenience to be able to roughly check lines and ideas without switching to a dedicated chess app. Thanks again.

jb