How to post chess games

General discussion about computer chess...
pgn4web

Re: How to post chess games

Post by pgn4web » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
pgn4web wrote:On second thought, it seems this fix is not really working as expected... I'll try figuring out why...
Thanks for the heads up!
this issue seem to escape me, but after a few attempts, this seems to fix it:

1) leave the fonts/*.css files unchanged

2) modify two elements of board.html

2.1)

Code: Select all

.header {
  color: black;
  font-weight: bold;
}
to

.header {
  font-family: 'pgn4web Liberation Sans', sans-serif;
  color: black;
  font-weight: bold;
}
2.2)

.comment,
.nag {
  color: gray;
  line-height: 1.3em;
}
to

.comment,
.nag {
  font-family: 'pgn4web Liberation Sans', sans-serif;
  color: gray;
  line-height: 1.3em;
}
This should restore "sans-serif" fonts for header and comments (making them similar to the figurine font) on IE9 if they had switched to something else.

dand

Post by dand » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Jeremy,
I'd like to use your modifications to pgn4web at Croatian chess forum www.sah.hr/forum. We are using pgn4web, and there is many requests for variations support. Would that be possible?

Thanks,
Danijel

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm

dand wrote:Hi Jeremy,
I'd like to use your modifications to pgn4web at Croatian chess forum http://www.sah.hr/forum. We are using pgn4web, and there is many requests for variations support. Would that be possible?

Thanks,
Danijel
Sure. I haven't had a chance to merge the most recent pgn4web changes into the version we're using here, but you're welcome to use the code. If you make any improvements, please send me a patch!

jb

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:09 pm

hello,

recently (after implementing chess informant symbol support in pgn4web) I had a look again to your variation code, and I found a small bug with how comments are packaged.

With this as PGN

e4 e6 d4  { the main line, while a creative option is } (Qe2 e5) { or even } (d3 d5) { let's see what happens following the main line } d5
the resulting chessboard is
e4 e6 d4 { the main line, while a creative option is } (Qe2 e5) { or even } (d3 d5) { let's see what happens following the main line } d5

PS: if you ever want to repackage your variation code in the newest version of pgn4web, I would be happy if we could coordinate this at a point were I can keep the main pgn4web version frozen until you are done...

dand

Post by dand » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you Jeremy!

I'd be very happy to try out your enhancements. However, I'd love to have the two of you coordinate, and make some kind of "official release" that forum admins like myself could rely upon. Would that be possible?

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 pm

dand wrote:Thank you Jeremy!

I'd be very happy to try out your enhancements. However, I'd love to have the two of you coordinate, and make some kind of "official release" that forum admins like myself could rely upon. Would that be possible?
I'm for it. It's just a matter of time and coordination. I need to sit down and review the recent pgn4web changes and bring the base code up to date first, before I waste Paolo's time. That and do a thorough review of my own code to see if it can't be cleaned up a bit. I'll try to do it soon, time permitting...

jb

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 pm

pgn4web wrote:hello,

recently (after implementing chess informant symbol support in pgn4web)
Thanks for finding the bug, and once I've had a chance to see if my code is clean enough to merge into the hive brain, we should set that up.

This Informant support is excellent!

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Thanks for finding the bug, and once I've had a chance to see if my code is clean enough to merge into the hive brain, we should set that up.
just let me know when you are ready to start; to make it easier I think we should proceed like this:
1) you let me know when you are ready to start the review/update
2) at that point I release a new version of pgn4web flushing all the minor updates so far and I stop working on the main pgn4web.js file
3) you start merging your variation code into the latest pgn4web.js
4) we debug and check everything is smooth for board.html (the page used on the forum) but also for all the other pages in the pgn4web package
5) a new release of pgn4web is produced :-)

I see you added few more things other than the variation support. At this point I'm very interested into the variation support; I'm not sure about some of the other enhancements (like the board coordinates and the dropdown menu behaviour) so I'd prefer to single out variation support to start with.

dand

Post by dand » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am

Paolo,
To me as an end user, this sounds too good to be true!
I could maybe help with 4.), the testing?

Cheers!

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 pm

pgn4web wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Thanks for finding the bug, and once I've had a chance to see if my code is clean enough to merge into the hive brain, we should set that up.
just let me know when you are ready to start; to make it easier I think we should proceed like this:
1) you let me know when you are ready to start the review/update
2) at that point I release a new version of pgn4web flushing all the minor updates so far and I stop working on the main pgn4web.js file
3) you start merging your variation code into the latest pgn4web.js
4) we debug and check everything is smooth for board.html (the page used on the forum) but also for all the other pages in the pgn4web package
5) a new release of pgn4web is produced :-)

I see you added few more things other than the variation support. At this point I'm very interested into the variation support; I'm not sure about some of the other enhancements (like the board coordinates and the dropdown menu behaviour) so I'd prefer to single out variation support to start with.
OK. I know you don't like the coordinates and side-to-move indicators, but I think you're just being elitist about it :-) -- I predict that a user survey would indicate that 85% of pgn4web users would find them useful. Nevertheless, I'll do my part without the "patzer features" and drop a note when I'm ready.

jb