Felix Kling and Kullberg don't like the truth.

General discussion about computer chess...
Tord

Re: Felix Kling and Kullberg don't like the truth.

Post by Tord » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Yet, I get a sense that in spite of his very evident human flaws the guy gets a bum rap. Carefully consider his position. He has not held a regular job in seven years. Full stop. In human terms, do you recognize what that means? He has to make a living with Rybka; he has no choice in the matter, because after a CV like the one he's built, and given his age (40) most conventional companies would feel trepidation about hiring him. They'd worry not about his talent, but about his ability to conform to a regular, systematic routine. Secondly, you have consider that he is not like you or me in other ways. You guys should have seen him the first time I linked up with him on Skype last December. He looked like he hadn't shaved or had a haircut in six months. I am not saying this is a critical point, but it is still a data point that you need to factor in there somehow. He's outside the mainstream; he doesn't think like you or me. He is untethered from convention, and that fact certainly leads to misunderstandings and cognitive dissonance between him and us, his customer base. Do you remember that throwaway line of his in his interview with me about how he worked for Ford Motor Company and was walking around the office in his bare feet? What does that tell you?
It tells me that he would probably have difficulties getting the stereotypical Java programming job where they want programmers who work 8 hours per day churning out consistently mediocre code at a predictable rate, and who can easily be replaced or moved over to other projects when desired. Of course, Vas would hate such a job anyway (as would I).

There are jobs -- in programming and elsewhere -- where being untethered from convention is considered an asset, where creativity and independence are valued higher than consistency, and where nobody cares how you look. These jobs are perhaps not as plentiful as the more regular jobs, but neither are the number of applicants. If Vas ever needs or wants to do something else than computer chess, I'm sure he'll have no problems.

By the way, I also walked around without shoes at my job through most of the winter this year, because of a foot injury that made it painful to wear shoes for extended periods of time.

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Martin Andersen wrote:Ok, I didn't knew that. It's strange he is describing his boss like that :)
Vas is not his boss.

Anyway, I just realized how eccentric I am myself, as several of comments on Vas fit me, so I guess Vas is my role model.
you dont aspire to more ? like to be an honest man ,,,hmm...sad very sad
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us

noctiferus

Post by noctiferus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:47 pm

IMHO, Vytron is that already: I'don't think he is perfectly aligned on the current trend in Rybfor...

benstoker

Post by benstoker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Martin Andersen wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Martin Andersen wrote:It's the post Nelson made at
Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:15 pm

There are some descriptions of Vas, like "his very evident human flaws",
"his tendency to make promises that he won't keep", "his procrastination",
"his insularity", "his apparently hedonistic tendencies..."

To me, it seems like a personal attack. If this is wrong, please give an example
of a personal attack.
But if you knew Nelson, you would have known he works in Rybka media/communications department. Seriously, there is nothing here.
Ok, I didn't knew that. It's strange he is describing his boss like that :)
Marty, you need to go read a Greek tragedy. There you will learn that even great people have flaws.

govert

Post by govert » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 am

kingliveson wrote:
Martin Andersen wrote:It's the post Nelson made at
Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:15 pm

There are some descriptions of Vas, like "his very evident human flaws",
"his tendency to make promises that he won't keep", "his procrastination",
"his insularity", "his apparently hedonistic tendencies..."

To me, it seems like a personal attack. If this is wrong, please give an example
of a personal attack.
But if you knew Nelson, you would have known he works in Rybka media/communications department. Seriously, there is nothing here.
kingliveston, don't go there. You shouldn't have to know the person behind the post in order to determine if there is a personal attack. Posts need to be taken at face value no matter who it's coming from.

Now the correct response would have been: "For anybody reading the entire post it should be quite clear that this is not a personal attack".

oudheusa

Post by oudheusa » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:59 am

Nelson Hernandez wrote:... You guys should have seen him the first time I linked up with him on Skype last December. He looked like he hadn't shaved or had a haircut in six months.

... Do you remember that throwaway line of his in his interview with me about how he worked for Ford Motor Company and was walking around the office in his bare feet? What does that tell you?...
Living the dream baby...

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 pm

govert wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
kingliveston, don't go there. You shouldn't have to know the person behind the post in order to determine if there is a personal attack. Posts need to be taken at face value no matter who it's coming from.

Now the correct response would have been: "For anybody reading the entire post it should be quite clear that this is not a personal attack".
You are right that it's not a personal attack. I was simply trying to use a joke to explain it. Some people probably got it and understood the origin of what I was talking about.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen