its a sad thing that CCC dies this way...

General discussion about computer chess...
stvs

Re: its a sad thing that CCC dies this way...

Post by stvs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Michael Waesch wrote:Why "self-appointed"? Aren´t moderators there no longer elected?

Mike
michael glad to see u here :) except ccc forum now rybkaforum has deleted jeremy post that promoted this site!!!
both rybkaforum and ccc cooperate under Harvey boss and chessbase..sickkkkkkkk

Michael Waesch

Post by Michael Waesch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Sounds like business as usual on CCC. I returned my password there years ago. Now I write on German CSS-forum, only to see that there are a lot of narrow minded people too. May be it´s a sign of our times. Who knows. And if the level of conversation in this is better than the one on CSS, I might switch over and write more postings here.

Mike

Fernando

Post by Fernando » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Chris: Living in the country, in France, you are giving life to a very old costume of many British guys to go there and get satiated with the best food and wine of the world. I envy you a lot.
No that I have not greats wines and all the rest in Chile, but, of course, France is unique...
a hug and beware of the French ladies....

Fern

wolfv

Post by wolfv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am

Michael Waesch wrote:Why "self-appointed"? Aren´t moderators there no longer elected?

Mike
Hi Mike,

actually there was an election and Banks was NOT elected. However, after Matthias Gemuh, who was elected, decided to resign Banks duly accepted to serve as moderator as he got the most votes of all who ran for the mod team and were not elected. Thus, he was a "substitute" mod who actually ran the forum apparently quite often taking action without the necessary consent from Jeremy and Swami.

That's why I used the loose and inexact wording "self-appointed" (to not go into detail here). Nice to see you around --- I also noticed that my program played yours on Playchess every now and then :-).

best

wolfv

Correction.

Post by wolfv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:43 am

wolfv wrote:

Mike
Hi Mike,

actually there was an election and Banks was NOT elected. However, after Matthias Gemuh, who was elected, decided to resign Banks duly accepted to serve as moderator as he got the most votes of all who ran for the mod team and were not elected. Thus, he was a "substitute" mod who actually ran the forum apparently quite often taking action without the necessary consent from Jeremy and Swami.

That's why I used the loose and inexact wording "self-appointed" (to not go into detail here). Nice to see you around --- I also noticed that my program played yours on Playchess every now and then :-).

best

Correction:

A kind gentleman pointed out to me that I got some things wrong in my post. Actually, Banks was elected and Jeremy took Matthias's position after he resigned.
This all sounds so complicated and I am sorry for the wrong account of what actually happened.

regards

Michael Waesch

Post by Michael Waesch » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Please forgive me, but I am really interested to hear why people think that Graham does not make a good job. I konw him as a fair man, who even apologizes when he makes a mistake as moderator, so I am somewhat irritated about reading so much negative things about him these days.

Mike

emullins

Post by emullins » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 pm

John Blake wrote:Its sad to see how CCC has gone downhill, I think this forum is just what was needed.
It was inevitable. The net treats censorship as infection and routes around it.

Keisari

Post by Keisari » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 am

Michael Waesch wrote:Please forgive me, but I am really interested to hear why people think that Graham does not make a good job. I konw him as a fair man, who even apologizes when he makes a mistake as moderator, so I am somewhat irritated about reading so much negative things about him these days.

Mike
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, and a good one it seems to be.
It will stay so and develop as far as we all keep it civilized.
I agree on Michael's point of view. Yes, Graham is very present at CCC, and i at times really do not agree with him, but to call him a dictator or such is overdone. Just select another mod if you are unhappy. Anyway, i have exchanged mail with Graham, and he has been perfectly correct, and helpful with engine stuff. He definitely put's a lot of effort and man hours into computerchess. Now, nobody's a Saint, but i do not think it is too much to ask for objective arguments for disapproving of Graham's role as mod, arguments that are above the level of for some reason disliking the guy.
For all i can see, we have a shared hobby, and acting like small children at times does not help.

Just my two cents,
Kaj

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:34 am

Keisari wrote:
Michael Waesch wrote:Please forgive me, but I am really interested to hear why people think that Graham does not make a good job. I konw him as a fair man, who even apologizes when he makes a mistake as moderator, so I am somewhat irritated about reading so much negative things about him these days.

Mike
Hi guys,

I agree on Michael's point of view. Yes, Graham is very present at CCC, and i at times really do not agree with him, but to call him a dictator or such is overdone. Just select another mod if you are unhappy. Anyway, i have exchanged mail with Graham, and he has been perfectly correct, and helpful with engine stuff. He definitely put's a lot of effort and man hours into computerchess. Now, nobody's a Saint, but i do not think it is too much to ask for objective arguments for disapproving of Graham's role as mod, arguments that are above the level of for some reason disliking the guy.
For all i can see, we have a shared hobby, and acting like small children at times does not help.

Just my two cents,
Kaj
Graham and I have our disagreements, but I think that, ultimately, he is basically a good person doing what he thinks is right. Let's just leave it at that. His recent actions inspired this forum, so we can all be thankful!

Jeremy

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Keisari wrote:

Mike
Hi guys,

Just my two cents,
Kaj
Graham and I have our disagreements, but I think that, ultimately, he is basically a good person doing what he thinks is right. Let's just leave it at that. His recent actions inspired this forum, so we can all be thankful!

Jeremy
the road to hell is paved with 'good persons' doing what they think is 'right'

there's usually a pact with the devil along the way somewhere