Falling Bench mark when pc on line

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
Angel

Falling Bench mark when pc on line

Post by Angel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 am

Any pc genesuis know why when we use Fritz off line our bench marks Rspeed 18 but as soon as we go ON line it falls to less than 4 . makeing it unseable

AMD checked 2 chips we sent back to them 3.2 and 3.4 ghz phenoms , both were found to be fit for purpose , so presumably the problems eleswhere , we use dongle connection but the problem was same useing standerd wireless server as well , no one else we know seems to have this problem any advice ( not rude ) appreciated
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us

MoldyJacket

Re: Falling Bench mark when pc on line

Post by MoldyJacket » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Could be lots of things, got to narrow it down. Do similar things happen with other offline/online software? I don’t know what your connection speed is, but I’d check the firewall.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

[quote="MoldyJacket"]Could be lots of things, got to narrow it down. Do similar things happen with other offline/online software? I don’t know what your connection speed is, but I’d check the firewall.[/quote

We dont use anyother software such as games realy. and ensure most all other applications even windiws side bar etc are turned off, even though we have 8 gb ram , off line Relative Speed touches 18 but as soon as comp goes on line it falls to less than 4

connection is via mobile dongle but it was the same when connected by wireless modem and AMD checked both 3.2 and 3.4 chips we used

check firewall how ?

switch it off ?..we arent connecting to playchess or any other site as we used a laptop to play on flyordie and fritz off line on comp

the probl;em is just when fritz is loaded if on li8ne at all bench mark falls ditto if fritz is on at all even not doing anything and we go on line on comp benchmark drops :cry:

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:05 am

I’m willing to help anyone who asks for it, as others have done for me. But only if they are not lazy or rude, much more effort is clearly required in spelling and proper translation in order to understand the situation at all. I thought an attempt to clean this reply up would have been made by now, I’m still not sure if “li8ne” is a misspelling of “line” or a game site (the Robotic Chess is pathetic, even I can beat it).

What benchmarks are you running and what is “Rspeed”? (Fritz Benchmark? Display refresh rate? Networking? CPU usage? Other?) If you’re talking about the Fritz Benchmark, how can you say benchmarks fall when online and Fritz does nothing at all? Fritz Benchmarking is all about stressing the machine.

Given that I can’t understand you, I’ll provide a shotgun list to check. All this assumes a clean updated stable machine with no viruses and such, of course. I’m also assuming this Fritz (version?) is not hacked in anyway and you fully trust it, otherwise the question is not worth asking. I believe a computer savvy person would have done these things already, in the end I suspect you will need a geek sitting in front of the machine (sending the CPUs back to manufacturer for testing is a good indication of this).

First, being online is going to lower performance anyway, particularly if it is a high media intrusive website. In other words the site itself could be the problem, try the benchmarks viewing a plain vanilla site like this one. A security suite is going to slow performance too, especially online. Try adjusting the system priority of Fritz if you must be connected.

Beyond that, you’ve got to methodically isolate the issue. Run some tests online/offline using another GUI/engine and compare for similar problems. If you’re running Windows, open Task Manager and see what’s eating you up. Look in Event Viewer at the System/Application Logs for warnings/errors too. You could have a com driver problem, check that it is updated and installed correctly (Device Manager/System Info). Make sure the graphics drivers, browser & plugins like FlashPlayer and Java (if the site uses them) are updated and functioning correctly.

If all of this checks out, then look in the firewall logs for retries/errors/warnings. You could be having a problem with this all along, but not notice until the system is stressed. You could try disabling the firewall temporally if you dare (but I’d only do that within a LAN, no WAN). If you don’t have a firewall up or haven’t implemented it correctly, that is a bigger problem than the Fritz issue. Using two firewalls together can cause problems too.

When asking for help in a public forum it is polite to thank those attempting to assist, whether the advise given helped or not and update the outcome so others can possibly benefit from the experience too.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 am

when replying with less attempted sarcasam you have our thanks dislexic mind and kytpad plus dieing lap top no spell check and frustration aside we do not usually omit implied thanks if not going overboard and bowing
thank you again should you wish flowers sent please leave address and IF your advice works and quad ever functions on line as it should we would be glad to send you some and even pay for dry cleaning your jacket

bench mark = fritz bench mark and drops as soon as comp goes on line wether or not frits is playing / anaylising and wether we use mobile connection (dial up) or wireless , firewall on or off and i di mean as soon as it goes online NOT when cinnecting to aNY sites but if we do connect to flyordie for instance fritz would be less than 1 cpus bench mark and unfit for purpose,,,,weve tried several fritzs not just one .off line kns 8000 plus on line less than 1000=its donald ducked on line
and yes im blonde this month and yes we are pc dummys
Danke , gracias . cheers, sincere thanks for replying

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 pm

You’re welcome Angel. My jacket will always be moldy, I’m a veteran firefighter. As for the flowers, go out on a bright warm spring day and pick some for me; put them in a vase on your table as a reminder that if you smile, others will smile back. :)

Sounds like you need to focus on the networking components. Check for updates directly from the providers of your network drivers and any software that you use to connect.

By definition being “online” means you’re connected to something, connected to your ISP (usually opens a webpage itself)? Or do you actually mean simply starting up some software that allows you to initiate the connection, but haven’t started connecting yet? If this is the case, I’d look very closely at this particular software as the culprit.

If you’re using something like NetZero, expect to get hosed to some degree. Do you know others using the same ISP? If so, do they have Fritz and experience the same problem? Task Manager will give you a broad view of resource use; but you might consider using Windows System Monitor to get a detailed picture.

I’m counting on you to identify the problem and post the resolution.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

MoldyJacket wrote:You’re welcome Angel. My jacket will always be moldy, I’m a veteran firefighter. As for the flowers, go out on a bright warm spring day and pick some for me; put them in a vase on your table as a reminder that if you smile, others will smile back. :)

Sounds like you need to focus on the networking components. Check for updates directly from the providers of your network drivers and any software that you use to connect.

By definition being “online” means you’re connected to something, connected to your ISP (usually opens a webpage itself)? Or do you actually mean simply starting up some software that allows you to initiate the connection, but haven’t started connecting yet? If this is the case, I’d look very closely at this particular software as the culprit.

If you’re using something like NetZero, expect to get hosed to some degree. Do you know others using the same ISP? If so, do they have Fritz and experience the same problem? Task Manager will give you a broad view of resource use; but you might consider using Windows System Monitor to get a detailed picture.

I’m counting on you to identify the problem and post the resolution.
we use 3 moblle dongle to conect to internet but priblem was same with virgin wireless modem connection

do not count on us to eveer find reso;ution weve given up and use old lap tops to coonect to internet and use £800 pc as door stop now , but thak you for being the ONLY samaritan here

:kangura_cry2 :kangura_17

alfons

Post by alfons » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

I don't think that your problems are related to your ISP or your hardware (a interesting tets would be to grab a linux live-cd* (with a compiler shipping) and compile stockfish or ivanhoe and let it run then); rather I do think that your machine is infected (perhaps your operating system operates as a virtualized guest even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Pill_(malware)
too?

If not virtualized then something else (but also hidden perhaps as NT-Authority system->higher than admin). This implies that your antivirus got fooled in the first place (they're almost defenseless, when exploits with malicious payloads which are unknown to their database/routines/antivirus-signatures are involved) - but this wouldn't be the first time of course.

But what do I know about zis windows? Nix!

*bloody kaßperßkie and avira offer ones with their products

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 pm

The premise was there are no infections; otherwise you can’t effectively isolate the issue as presented. Only the owner of the machine can insure and be confident of this, a fresh build is always the best starting point if there is any doubt.

Obviously it could be anything based on such little information, but considering the most likely things first seems to be the best course of action. Why would an infection not affect Fritz offline? Of course we can speculate on that, but whatever is occurring apparently only becomes manifest when using the networking components (which could be the source of an infection or just plain bad code).

I did suggest adjusting the system priority of Fritz, but no feedback was supplied and the whole effort has been abandoned.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:22 pm

alfons wrote:I don't think that your problems are related to your ISP or your hardware (a interesting tets would be to grab a linux live-cd* (with a compiler shipping) and compile stockfish or ivanhoe and let it run then); rather I do think that your machine is infected (perhaps your operating system operates as a virtualized guest even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Pill_(malware)
too?

If not virtualized then something else (but also hidden perhaps as NT-Authority system->higher than admin). This implies that your antivirus got fooled in the first place (they're almost defenseless, when exploits with malicious payloads which are unknown to their database/routines/antivirus-signatures are involved) - but this wouldn't be the first time of course.

*bloody kaßperßkie and avira offer ones with their products

very true allmost retardipresto ish
:) but honest

:difus_angel 77 :difus_angelic
Last edited by Angel on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.