Falling Bench mark when pc on line

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
Angel

Re: Falling Bench mark when pc on line

Post by Angel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 pm

MoldyJacket wrote:The premise was there are no infections; otherwise you can’t effectively isolate the issue as presented. Only the owner of the machine can insure and be confident of this, a fresh build is always the best starting point if there is any doubt.

Obviously it could be anything based on such little information, but considering the most likely things first seems to be the best course of action. Why would an infection not affect Fritz offline? Of course we can speculate on that, but whatever is occurring apparently only becomes manifest when using the networking components (which could be the source of an infection or just plain bad code).

I did suggest adjusting the system priority of Fritz, but no feedback was supplied and the whole effort has been abandoned.
forum doesnt send notifications of replys to posts

more given up than abandined as simply havent a clue how to half you sugges..

we are pc / program dummies

but no infections in comp causeing this

even to shut down after being on line ( without useing fritz but to update antivirus etc ) takes forever :kangura_cry2
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:06 pm

More evidence that the networking installation is the problem, it almost certainly has nothing to do with Fritz at all. Offer your local geek a beer or two to take at look at it. ;)
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

alfons

Post by alfons » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:08 pm

"Why would an infection not affect Fritz offline? "

There's no point in consuming processing power (from a spam application running as demon) when a connection is missing (i.e. there are no recepients then available).

Checking a running machine for malware from whithin is most pointless - you have to do it from the outside first (capturing the traffic) - but most windows user do this and argueing here is wasted effort anyway (as they tend to believe only their antimalware programs: I'm sometimes checking the logs in my router and occasionally when not often find strange requests there from IP addresses which are even hosting web services sometimes: i.e. http-server is running; looking through the html/java-script (which you can retrieve safely with 'wget') showed links to to applications which I also retrieved - as they were 'new' - they did have no entry in antivirus-databases/online scanners (as jotti or virustotal); when I did send them to the vendors they replied: thanks, we call it now: Hypogon w32.BAK.ZT or Bogterly.Agut.A and so on. Mind you: were not talking about a hacked site with an active exploit-kit, which does not give it's payload easily.

This hashsum-approach is nonsene btw. and I'm glad it does continue and malware is spreading all over the net.

I do not believe in 'not infected' in this case if the machine has not been checked (if this has been done, THEN you can another ponder about other possebillities) outside from a windows environment and will write no more here in this thread.

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Let’s be practical, there is no complaint about offline performance. There seems to be an issue concerning online performance. Why take the scorched earth policy at this point when it is more likely an installation issue?

You could even assert that Windows itself comes shipped with infections built in, but this is not a thread for debating the pros and cons of Windows. Nor are we trying to solve every possible issue. :)
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Addendum: my quote was taken out of context. It was not a question, but a pretext to an assertion.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy