I love all this wallpaper

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
orgfert

Re: I love all this wallpaper

Post by orgfert » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 am

Uly wrote: But are most people Mongolians?
Most users of personal computers have never used anything but Windows. That's a lot of people. There were also a lot of Mongolians (hordes of them).
Uly wrote:No. You make it sound as if computer scientists were superior to other users, they just have needs that Windows doesn't fulfill.
Mongolians carved out the largest empire in world history. They didn't suffer from an inferiority complex.
Uly wrote:The comments "Windows is useless out of the box" and "Windows is a palpably user-hostile environment, suspicious of your every move, always with an eye on your wallet" only apply to users with similar needs as yours, but I think most users: Don't need to have their computers ON, using 100% of the CPU for months on end; most don't need to use the Unix system along Windows; most don't need to install cygwin as soon as they install Windows; most don't need complementary robust tools for it; and most aren't computer scientists (people applying are fewer because these attributes tend to overlap).
They certainly don't feel the need for anything more, mostly because there are no options available for them, no tools for them to experiment with that would improve their workflow. Microsoft has effectively turned them into MS Office drones. MS Office is a conformity box that stifles imagination, limiting productivity to what their box of 3 or 4 hammers can do. Their perception of sufficiency is based in ignorance.
Uly wrote:So that for most users Windows is useful out of the box, and they don't have to deal with the problems between Windows and other operating systems.
People living in jail don't have to deal with all the problems common to people in the outside world. Good for them.

64x

Post by 64x » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:53 pm

orgfert wrote: They certainly don't feel the need for anything more, mostly because there are no options available for them, no tools for them to experiment with that would improve their workflow. Microsoft has effectively turned them into MS Office drones. MS Office is a conformity box that stifles imagination, limiting productivity to what their box of 3 or 4 hammers can do. Their perception of sufficiency is based in ignorance.
I have to disagree. There is a proper tool for each task and plenty of organizations invest enough in developing/finding them, so is not a point about ignorance. Neither Windows or *nix are magic bullets, either on the datacenter or desktop, there are solutions in both that the other can not address today in a time/cost efficient manner.

Re: MS Office, I am not sure how it stifles imagination. Amazing enterprise-grade tools exist based on them, even on a client-server basis. Unless you are comparing them with development tools in *nix, which would be incorrect as they are different things.

Now, if you are a network admin, I agree with you, but that is too narrow a field to derive generic statements from.

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 pm

64x wrote:
orgfert wrote: They certainly don't feel the need for anything more, mostly because there are no options available for them, no tools for them to experiment with that would improve their workflow. Microsoft has effectively turned them into MS Office drones. MS Office is a conformity box that stifles imagination, limiting productivity to what their box of 3 or 4 hammers can do. Their perception of sufficiency is based in ignorance.
I have to disagree. There is a proper tool for each task and plenty of organizations invest enough in developing/finding them, so is not a point about ignorance. Neither Windows or *nix are magic bullets, either on the datacenter or desktop, there are solutions in both that the other can not address today in a time/cost efficient manner.

Re: MS Office, I am not sure how it stifles imagination. Amazing enterprise-grade tools exist based on them, even on a client-server basis. Unless you are comparing them with development tools in *nix, which would be incorrect as they are different things.

Now, if you are a network admin, I agree with you, but that is too narrow a field to derive generic statements from.
Out of the box, *nix has all the tools required to meet the needs of the creative imagination -- programming options aplenty without cost. And if you need 3 or 4 hammers, Openoffice is available.

What does Windows give you out of the box? Nothing (for you anyway). But it is a nice wallet opening device for vendors.

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 am

Uly I know you are so happy with windows and good for you ... i will give you my own reason

a) I can have 4 desktop at the same time with out using third party application ( you can not do that with windows )
b) I have thousands of dollars worth of software for no cost ( you have to pay for most aplications on windows)
c) Comes with a complete development environment, including C, C++, Fortran compilers, toolkits such as Qt and scripting languages such as Perl, Awk and sed. A C compiler for Windows alone would set you back hundreds of dollars.
d) operating system that is easily upgradeable. after any length of time a typical installation of windows and software gets into a complete mess. often the only way to clear out all the debris is to reformat the hard disk and start again. Linux however is much better for maintaining the system
c) Supports multiple processors as standard.

and the best thing is excellent networking facilities

if you like to have fun with you pc look what you can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4wB3GUemVw

64x

Post by 64x » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 am

orgfert wrote: Out of the box, *nix has all the tools required to meet the needs of the creative imagination -- programming options aplenty without cost. And if you need 3 or 4 hammers, Openoffice is available.

What does Windows give you out of the box? Nothing (for you anyway). But it is a nice wallet opening device for vendors.
You can get almost all the same free tools for Win than for *nix anyway (development or otherwise). Vendors try to make money the regardless the platform (Oracle, SAP, IBM). Open Source projects are mostly available for all platforms. VSE and many other tools are also free for Windows.

FWIW I have no preference, I use whatever gives me the right tool. OS discussions like are talking religion/politics/soccer anyways, one just should try to maintain objectivity. At the end of the day, the platform doesn't make the power user, the 2 hammer user will be that no matter what.

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 am

JcMaTe wrote:b) I have thousands of dollars worth of software for no cost ( you have to pay for most aplications on windows)
Huh? Weird statement. Please tell me a piece of commercial Windows software that doesn't have a free alternative.

I guess I also have thousands of dollars worth of software for no cost, and actually most of them only work on Windows (I'd run into problems if I wanted to run them in *nix).

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 am

Uly wrote:
JcMaTe wrote:b) I have thousands of dollars worth of software for no cost ( you have to pay for most aplications on windows)
Huh? Weird statement. Please tell me a piece of commercial Windows software that doesn't have a free alternative.

I guess I also have thousands of dollars worth of software for no cost, and actually most of them only work on Windows (I'd run into problems if I wanted to run them in *nix).
Can i have windows 7 and microsoft office for free?

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 am

JcMaTe wrote:Can i have windows 7
Can you install Windows 7 inside Windows 7? I thought were were talking about software that you install inside the OS.

I can install a virtual machine with Linux on it under Windows but that's unrelated.
JcMaTe wrote:and microsoft office for free?
Yes.

(I actually don't have MSOffice installed and use that instead, but I think you can use this for free as well)

64x

Post by 64x » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:54 am

Uly wrote:
Yes.

(I actually don't have MSOffice installed and use that instead, but I think you can use this for free as well)
Don't forget that MS Office Web Apps is also free: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:14 am

64x wrote:
Uly wrote:
Yes.

Don't forget that MS Office Web Apps is also free: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/
I mean install it on my pc ...that i can use it with out internet anyways

I can run linux with 128mb of memory can you run windows 7 with 128mb of memory?