Copyright, Plagiarism and Piracy.

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
MoldyJacket

Re: Copyright, Plagiarism and Piracy.

Post by MoldyJacket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 am

Forgot to mention the Megaupload developments today, nice timing guaranteed to add fuel to the fire. Since there was no search function to discover content directly, purportedly the indictment claims this is evidence to “conceal the scope of its infringement.”

Will Dropbox be next?
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 am

MoldyJacket wrote:Will Dropbox be next?
What about Youtube? I think all the videos posted on Rybka Forum from Youtube had copyrighted content in them, can't see the difference from it and Megaupload.

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 am

YouTube is currently covered under Title II (safe harbor) of the DMCA. Many thousands are removed everyday, even through automation. If no one complains, they live (at least for awhile anyway).

Here’s an excellent read concerning the proposed legislation: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/1 ... -(UPDATED)
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 am

I couldn’t get to the FBI site last night (most likely because of the Anonymous DDoS attacks) to see the actual MegaUpload charges (I hate how little time we have to edit our posts, timed-out on me again). This is certainly going to be an interesting case.

SOPA was brought up in the Southern Republican Presidential Debate last night (I would reference CNN’s video segment, but it’s edited way too much)! Looks like the Internet community won this round since the bills finally got too much attention, both are now on hold. Perhaps new or compromise solutions can be found, but apparently plan B is currently in effect: wait till after the elections. As Chris Dodd put it, "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

alfons

Post by alfons » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 pm

I couldn’t get to the FBI site last night (most likely because of the Anonymous DDoS attacks) to see the actual MegaUpload charges
You'll find Ze Anklageschrift here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment

Poor Kimble.