Question for Dr. Robert M. Hyatt

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
JcMaTe

Question for Dr. Robert M. Hyatt

Post by JcMaTe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:41 pm

According to Robert Houdart He was inspired
From the start I have very clearly acknowledged the different sources of inspiration for Houdini (Ippo/Robbo, Stockfish and Crafty) and have shown every respect for the hard work of others, be it on my web site, in the readme file, or in this forum...

Houdini and the Ippo family have lots of high-level similarities, but zillions of low-level subtle differences.
My question si how are you sure there is not a single line from crafty source code in " the original work from robert houdar"

User923005

Re: Question for Dr. Robert M. Hyatt

Post by User923005 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 pm

JcMaTe wrote:According to Robert Houdart He was inspired
From the start I have very clearly acknowledged the different sources of inspiration for Houdini (Ippo/Robbo, Stockfish and Crafty) and have shown every respect for the hard work of others, be it on my web site, in the readme file, or in this forum...

Houdini and the Ippo family have lots of high-level similarities, but zillions of low-level subtle differences.
My question si how are you sure there is not a single line from crafty source code in " the original work from robert houdar"
Most certainly, that statement cannot be true.
Without doubt, there will be some statement such as:

Code: Select all

int i;
found in both programs.
Same as in all others.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:26 am

User923005 wrote:
JcMaTe wrote:According to Robert Houdart He was inspired

Most certainly, that statement cannot be true.
Without doubt, there will be some statement such as:

Code: Select all

int i;
found in both programs.
Same as in all others.
Which is why plagiarism in the world of code isn't measured in "lines", anyway.

jb

User923005

Post by User923005 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Working for a big company, I saw some code from their legal department.
It took the source code of two programs as input and ran a sophisticated diff on them.
If a certain percentage of lines had an exact match, it was forwarded to the next step of the legal process for further analysis.
So, at least in that case with one simple test, copyright violation was measured in lines.