Chess Books

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
Swaminathan

Chess Books

Post by Swaminathan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Since this forum is mainly about books with bit of offtopic, I could start a new relevant discussion.
My best blitz and bullet rating in playchess is around 2325 and an average around 2200. I'd like to boost my elo by studying the game in spare time.

If you have similar ratings, What books would you recommend?
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

Taner Altinsoy

Re: Chess Books

Post by Taner Altinsoy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Hello,

I used to be a 1800-2000 elo player myself. I don't think (but this is purely my opinion) there is a special training method to improve blitz or bullet chess except playing fast games to improve time management skills. I think it's a byproduct of your general chess knowledge and ability. And yes there are people who are ordinary chess players and exceptional blitz players but they are just special imo.

Taner

kalki

Re: Chess Books

Post by kalki » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:33 am

Hi,

Me too around 1800-1900 elo points. Spend my time solving tactic problems(Fred Reinfelds 1000 best combinations etc.,), but usually find myself in time trouble OTB play. For tactics I recommend, books by Fred Reinfeld, Seirawan, Tal, Livshitz & Yusupov. My problem area is Openings.

Openings are too complicated, remembering so many is impossible.The seemingly logical moves lead us to traps. How most of the players manage the opening phase? Is it only the memory that matters? Not ready to accept the standard reply in books & forums that memorization is not needed, opening principles, center control etc.,. Going through the opening lines, most of them nowadays seem to care a little for the old opening principles. How to face the opponent who comes with the prepared lines. Pl help.