Analysis mode tournament?

As in chess tournaments and matches...
AnthonyTheSage

Analysis mode tournament?

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

I think alot of people are under the impression that because an engine plays very strong that its analysis is equally as strong. I've noticed through my analysis that most engines analyze totally different than they play. Even going over some engine versus engine matches, the same engine will recommend different moves than it actually played in the game. Does anybody know if its possible to run tournaments with fixed time per move, and all engines in analysis mode? I think this would really seperate the men from the boys, and give a true measure of the strongest analysis engine.

ernest

Re: Analysis mode tournament?

Post by ernest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am

AnthonyTheSage wrote: I've noticed through my analysis that most engines analyze totally different than they play.
That's certainly NOT what I noticed!!!

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:17 am

fluctuating contempt levels make it inevitable that engines will play different than they analyze.

ernest

Post by ernest » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:57 pm

AnthonyTheSage wrote:...fluctuating contempt levels
Besides Rybka 3 and recent Ivans (analysis version and game version), are there many engines where (as default) a different contempt is used for game and analysis?

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:24 am

Only the worlds strongest, Houdini. Robert has mentioned fluctuating contempt levels at different points in the game. I see Deep Junior uses advanced contempt which I assume is similar. I'm sure alot of the other strong engines use a similar advanced contempt which is impossible to implement in analysis mode. This along with the time managing tricks offer an untrue test of the analysis strength of an engine. I would like to see a tournament with fixed time per move, with all engines in analysis mode. I think the results would be very interesting.

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm

AnthonyTheSage wrote: I would like to see a tournament with fixed time per move, with all engines in analysis mode. I think the results would be very interesting.
You need exotic features ? Look at ChessGUI.

Matthias.
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de