TCEC Division E (150m + 30s) LIVE broacast! Starts in 3 days

As in chess tournaments and matches...
MichaelIsGreat

Just the truth: the TCEC tournament is the best tournament!

Post by MichaelIsGreat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:57 am

To the attention of Martin.

Hello to All,

Martin, you say:
"There are many more programs out there that I could include but a limit has to be set somewhere.
I think the current format with 6 divisions of 6 engines is pretty good."
I think 6 divisions is amply enough to select the best chess engine programs available. No need for more divisions.

You say: "I wouldn't say that there are many more games in TCEC than in the ICGA events though."
What you forget, Martin, is that your Elite Match is a 40-game match between the two best chess engine programs in the world for the current season. This high number of games (40) between the best two chess engine programs allows us to clearly have a good idea which chess engine program is really the strongest.
The truth is that, at the moment, there is nothing even close to the TCEC tournaments!!
1) How many games were played between the supposedly (sic) best two chess engine programs (Shredder and Rondo!) participating at the World Computer (Chess) Software Championship (WCSC) in 2010?
ONLY ONE GAME WAS PLAYED BETWEEN THE WINNER (Shredder) AND THE SECOND CHESS PROGRAM (Rondo) at the World Computer (Chess) Software Championship (WCSC) in 2010!! Hard to believe but true! And the same at the previous WCSCs!!
(See "Shredder wins 2010 World Computer (Chess) Software Championship « ChessCentral's Blog" at http://chesscentral.wordpress.com/2010/ ... mpionship/ )
2) How many chess engine programs were participating at the World Computer (Chess) Software Championship (WCSC) in 2010?
ONLY NINE CHESS PROGRAMS!!
---Conclusion: In both cases, the TCEC tournaments are much better and without comparison at the moment with any other competition. And the ICGA World Computer Chess Championships are not even an alternative!
Therefore, yes, the TCEC tournaments are THE TRUE WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP! Consequently, Martin, do not think that I was trying to send you some praises, that is the reality at the moment. And, again, and very seriously, you should add to the title of your web site that is TCEC the following: "TCEC - THE WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP". Or: "TCEC - THE WORLD CHESS ENGINES CHAMPIONSHIP". Whether you agree with this new title or not, it is the reality. I am very serious when I say that simply because it is the reality!

I am not much a guy sending praises at random to people. The truth is that you have planned a great set of tournaments focused on chess engine programs. You surely deserve praises for doing so but that was not my initial intention. I just wanted to state the reality as it is, that the TCEC tournaments leading to the Elite Match are indeed THE TRUE YEARLY WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP for chess engine programs and I have clearly given you the reasons to justify this statement. It is not even praises for you, it is simply the reality as it is.

Best Regards to All
MichaelIsGreat

Martin Thoresen

Re: TCEC Division E (150m + 30s) LIVE broacast! Starts in 3

Post by Martin Thoresen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Final standings after 10 of 10 rounds:

Code: Select all

N Engine          Pts    SB Sc Da To De Ga Re 

1 Scorpio 2.7     8.5 35.50    11 01 1= 11 11 
2 Daydreamer 1.75 6.5 24.50 00    11 01 =1 11 
3 Tornado 4.4     5.5 22.75 10 00    1= =1 1= 
4 Deuterium 10.01 4.0 18.75 0= 10 0=    0= =1 
5 Gaviota 0.81    3.0 13.25 00 =0 =0 1=    =0 
6 Redqueen 0.95   2.5  9.25 00 00 0= =0 =1    
Congratulations to Scorpio for the promotion to TCEC D next season.
Redqueen will be relegated to TCEC F next season.

Also in next season, Tornado will be replaced with another engine unless the time control issue is fixed.

Stay tuned for TCEC D which will start in 3 days.
TCEC - Thoresen Chess Engines Competition
http://tcec.chessdom.com