Jeremy, please tell this karakaniec guy...

As in chess tournaments and matches...
ernest

Jeremy, please tell this karakaniec guy...

Post by ernest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 am

...who is either a dishonest liar, or a complete idiot,

to stop reporting on engine Tactico (see his latest blurb viewtopic.php?p=15091#p15091)

As I showed in viewtopic.php?p=15026#p15026

his Tactico 0.1 is actually, exactly, Houdini 1.03a :shock:

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: Jeremy, please tell this karakaniec guy...

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 am

ernest wrote:...who is either a dishonest liar, or a complete idiot,

to stop reporting on engine Tactico (see his latest blurb viewtopic.php?p=15091#p15091)

As I showed in viewtopic.php?p=15026#p15026

his Tactico 0.1 is actually, exactly, Houdini 1.03a :shock:
It's his rating list, he can do what he wants. I'm sure he's read your posts and simply doesn't care.

jb

ernest

Post by ernest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:It's his rating list, he can do what he wants.
OK, but is it allowed in this Forum to publish blatantly false info, without the Moderator intervening? :o

Prima

Post by Prima » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm

One interesting detail about Tactico engine has always fascinated me:

1. From its [former] website, Tactico, was up for commercial.
2. The name scheme of Tactico engine.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 Tactico engines: Blitz Tactico 2010 x64.exe, Deep Tactico Pro x64.exe, Tactico Pro w32.exe. Notice the "Pro" name? Also, in its uci string for the Pro x64, you have: by ProLGO 2010LGO. For the Pro w32, you have: Tactico3350b w32 ProLG ....with same uci option strings as Houdini. Also notice the Thread limitation of this Tactico engine. Does this silly multi-thread limitation scheme remind you of a particular person / commercial engine?

Though Robert Houdart claimed that Tactico is a clone of Houdini 1.03/a, I just find it strange that the commercial Houdini 2.0/b ALSO bears the SAME "Pro" name scheme and the multi-thread limitations as Tactico. Remember, Tactico engine was tagged along with Houdini 1.03/a - an older version to current Houdini 2.0. Out of ALL names in this world to pick from, it had to be the "Pro" name-scheme.

Coincidence? Or are the authors of Tactico and Houdini one and the same?

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:50 am

ernest wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:It's his rating list, he can do what he wants.
OK, but is it allowed in this Forum to publish blatantly false info, without the Moderator intervening? :o
The information isn't false, just the name associated with the data. And since you post every time he does, with an admonition that Tactico is just a hex-edited Houdini, any attentive reader will be able to determine the truth of the matter. I haven't looked into it myself.

Anyway, posting results from a rating list containing hex-edited engines isn't against the rules, and there's no reason for moderators to intervene. I don't really see what the big deal is: the engine isn't available anymore, there are plenty of sites which list the engine as a hex-edited clone, and karakaniec's list isn't going to replace CCRL or CEGT as the go-to rating list anytime soon. If it hurts your eyes so much, add him to your "foes" list in your profile and you'll never see his posts nor his creepy avatar again.

Other moderators may disagree; that's just my opinion.

jb

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 am

Prima wrote:One interesting detail about Tactico engine has always fascinated me:

If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 Tactico engines: Blitz Tactico 2010 x64.exe, Deep Tactico Pro x64.exe, Tactico Pro w32.exe. Notice the "Pro" name? Also, in its uci string for the Pro x64, you have: by ProLGO 2010LGO. For the Pro w32, you have: Tactico3350b w32 ProLG ....with same uci option strings as Houdini. Also notice the Thread limitation of this Tactico engine. Does this silly multi-thread limitation scheme remind you of a particular person / commercial engine?

Though Robert Houdart claimed that Tactico is a clone of Houdini 1.03/a, I just find it strange that the commercial Houdini 2.0/b ALSO bears the SAME "Pro" name scheme and the multi-thread limitations as Tactico. Remember, Tactico engine was tagged along with Houdini 1.03/a - an older version to current Houdini 2.0. Out of ALL names in this world to pick from, it had to be the "Pro" name-scheme.

Coincidence. "Pro" is way too common to build a conspiracy theory around. Plus, if Tactico is just a hex-edited Houdini (haven't checked myself), the maker just changed the UCI strings (and maybe some default values) and basta. This silly multi-thread limitation scheme isn't possible to change via hex-editing, though, so whatever the original engine had, the hex-edited version has, too.

jb

ernest

Post by ernest » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:if Tactico is just a hex-edited Houdini (haven't checked myself),
Jeremy, you have it right here, in your own Forum: no need to "check yourself"!!! :D

viewtopic.php?p=15026#p15026

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:53 pm

ernest wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:if Tactico is just a hex-edited Houdini (haven't checked myself),
Jeremy, you have it right here, in your own Forum: no need to "check yourself"!!! :D

viewtopic.php?p=15026#p15026
I've looked into it in the meantime. You're right, of course. Still, my/our job isn't to regulate content, unless it's content which gets on so many people's nerves that it becomes a problem for the smooth functioning of the forum. If you want to continue to bother karakaniec about his inclusion of a hex-edited Houdini on his rating list, feel free. I won't stop either of you. ;)

jb

Prima

Post by Prima » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Prima wrote:One interesting detail about Tactico engine has always fascinated me:

Coincidence. "Pro" is way too common to build a conspiracy theory around. Plus, if Tactico is just a hex-edited Houdini (haven't checked myself), the maker just changed the UCI strings (and maybe some default values) and basta. This silly multi-thread limitation scheme isn't possible to change via hex-editing, though, so whatever the original engine had, the hex-edited version has, too.

jb
Apologies for this late response. You could be right. I just thought it was too close a call and have pondered at it for months.