"Neoclassical" chess

As in chess tournaments and matches...
BB+

"Neoclassical" chess

Post by BB+ » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 am

Perhaps better described as "chess with randomly chosen 3-move openings"...
http://neoclassicalchess.com/
Q. How is Neoclassical chess played?
A. All rules are identical to the rules of chess. The only difference is that the game starts on a certain (fourth) move, by White.
The first three full moves (i.e. three by both White and Black) are obtained in a random manner just before the game starts
through a software program designed for this purpose, among positions taken from recent chess master practice.
Q. Which program is used to play Neoclassical chess?
A. In order to play Neoclassical chess, a method and its implementation in diverse applications, both patented [pending], are used. They provide the initial position of the game, unknown to the players until that moment. This constitutes a single, worldwide standard of play. With this standard we ensure that the probability of starting the game from a given position is identical to the relative frequency with which such position occurs in recent master practice. The application will be available in all major mobile and tablet platforms.
The website has various information, including a Q&A, a main paper "A bright future for the game", a technical paper "Foundations", and some intellectual property rights claims (the patent is pending).

They bring up a point that was made with Chess960 (doesn't it just mean 960 times as much preparation?!):
Q. But if the initial moves are randomly obtained, does that not lead to much more dedication to the study of the opening, in order to study all of them?
A. Opening study in Nc chess is based on understanding, not on memorizing long lines that will be forgotten or are left obsolete due to theoretical innovations. Hence it will relieve players from the burden of rote memorisation. You may not be an expert on the opening you are going to play, but your opponent will likely not be either.
And declare 3 to be an optimised parameter:
Q. Why precisely 3 full moves are imposed ?
A. The number 3 is neither magical not arbitrary: is our standard depth based upon a stable singularity of the empirical distribution (set of relative frequencies) of chess openings in human master play. This depth is the key parameter and is chosen to be optimal in a clearly defined sense.
Ivan Salgado won the initial rapid event (May 9), an 8-player round-robin.

Adam Hair

Re: "Neoclassical" chess

Post by Adam Hair » Sat May 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Interesting. I have been conducting "neoclassical" chess matches for years and have thought it could be applied to human play. It is a pity that I never made the step to claim intellectual property rights like this "inventor" :lol:

lucasart

Post by lucasart » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:14 am

This is completely trivial, and is not an "invention" by any measure. Only the incompetent morons of the US patent office can consider this an "invention".

Does it mean this usurper can sue us in a US court now ? We've all been doing "neo-classic" chess testing to improve our engines for the past decade. In fact, any chess game that goes beyond 3 moves is potentially a violation of his "intellectual property rights".

The world would be better without these patent trolls. And the only way to get rid of them, is to get rid of patent law entirely.

PS: Shame on you for providing positive advertising to this patent troll.
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:27 am

To not much fanfare, the 2016 version has occurred.

Ponomariov on tiebreak over Granda Zuniga. The Open division is today (Saturday).

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:35 am

And a story on the Open, that Paco Vallejo won. It claims that the Open brought together more than 100 players "in a totally new/innovative format" (en un formato totalmente innovador).

BB+

Post by BB+ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:22 am

Nigel Short seems to be a fan.

https://twitter.com/nigelshortchess/sta ... 5748280320
I love Neoclassical #Chess. My first 3 moves are normally lousy, so it is nice to start off with an OK position.