Comparison of Sawfish, Swordfish, Blue Marlin + Stockfish and Raid

As in chess tournaments and matches...
dorsz

Comparison of Sawfish, Swordfish, Blue Marlin + Stockfish and Raid

Post by dorsz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:12 pm

Below is an estimate of how strong my engines are. I don't usually publish results, but I thought someone might be interested in how strong they might be. You can see that Sawfish 1.0 and Swordfish 15.5 are similar in terms of strength, but it's worth noting that Sawfish plays more aggressively. Additionally, I tested one of the latest Stockfish and Raid v3. The engines blurred in gray are my experiments that I am not satisfied with.

Stockfish, Sawfish, Swordfish, Blue Marlin, Raid (results only)
2m+1s, 3.6GHz 3 cores used, 256MB hash, 6 pieces Syzygy, reversed openings, no learning or books or experience

I'm still experimenting with my engines. If you want, I can give you the results after they are finished. This time I'm also using ShashChess (claimed to be stronger than Stockfish) and Dragon.

OrgZ

Re: Comparison of Sawfish, Swordfish, Blue Marlin + Stockfish and Raid

Post by OrgZ » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm

dorsz wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:12 pm
Below is an estimate of how strong my engines are. I don't usually publish results, but I thought someone might be interested in how strong they might be. You can see that Sawfish 1.0 and Swordfish 15.5 are similar in terms of strength, but it's worth noting that Sawfish plays more aggressively. Additionally, I tested one of the latest Stockfish and Raid v3. The engines blurred in gray are my experiments that I am not satisfied with.

Stockfish, Sawfish, Swordfish, Blue Marlin, Raid (results only)
2m+1s, 3.6GHz 3 cores used, 256MB hash, 6 pieces Syzygy, reversed openings, no learning or books or experience

I'm still experimenting with my engines. If you want, I can give you the results after they are finished. This time I'm also using ShashChess (claimed to be stronger than Stockfish) and Dragon.
Thanks D, however you should know that when i test for strength i test on one on one not as a tournament. That way i can see after how many matches does my engine start to perform highly or decrease in performance. ...😉
In a tournament anything can happen, since its various opponents.

Anyway, am sure the blurred engine is a new derivative, nice 👍.
Am also working on updating patzer AI, he's just stubborn, Brainlearn this spectacular engine is whipping the floor with him🤣🤣in blitz but on bullet Patzer is a doing things. Just need to fix blitz performance😬.

You can share your results buddy,, I don't mind at all, we are a chess family by the way. That way we cn give each other advice on certain things.

Homayoun

Post by Homayoun » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks for the test.
Best regards

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:35 pm

Homayoun wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:05 pm
Thanks for the test.
Best regards
So did you have this busy evening?

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:47 pm

OrgZ wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm
Just need to fix blitz performance😬.
This is the hardest part.

Homayoun

Post by Homayoun » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:33 pm

dorsz wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:35 pm
Homayoun wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:05 pm
Thanks for the test.
Best regards
So did you have this busy evening?
Hi Dorsz
Yes , I tested sawfish too. If I want to say the truth,I like swordfish much more than sawfish. I couldn’t determine any playing style for sawfish.
It doesn’t have a uniform rhythm during the game. I don’t know why? It seems it has different characters. Swordfish is very compatible with my playing style.(aggressive and optimistic).But I don’t know what should I say about sawfish. Sometimes it plays aggressive , sometimes it plays very simple and digestible, It can’t play different openings as well as Eman, swordfish, vanilla, Tactical and etc. And as I said it can’t continue a specific and uniform rhythm during the game. I haven’t seen this problem in your other engines. It was just my personal opinion due to ten games I played against sawfish( with both white and black) . Four rapid25+10 and six blitz 4+2 as always. Although no need to mention that sawfish is much stronger than me and other human players, even super grandmasters. I personally think swordfish is much better and reliable engine for practice and analysis. It’s just my personal opinion, nothing more , may be I am completely wrong.
Best regards and thanks for your fantastic works as always.

OrgZ

Post by OrgZ » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:39 pm

dorsz wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:47 pm
OrgZ wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm
Just need to fix blitz performance😬.
This is the hardest part.
Yup you know better because you have been doing this longer than i have. I started following chess engines when you released swordfish/bluemarlin 14.8 if not mistaken🤔... can't remember which engine precisely

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:31 pm

Homayoun wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:33 pm
Hi Dorsz
Yes , I tested sawfish too. If I want to say the truth,I like swordfish much more than sawfish. I couldn’t determine any playing style for sawfish.
It doesn’t have a uniform rhythm during the game. I don’t know why? It seems it has different characters. Swordfish is very compatible with my playing style.(aggressive and optimistic).But I don’t know what should I say about sawfish. Sometimes it plays aggressive , sometimes it plays very simple and digestible, It can’t play different openings as well as Eman, swordfish, vanilla, Tactical and etc. And as I said it can’t continue a specific and uniform rhythm during the game. I haven’t seen this problem in your other engines. It was just my personal opinion due to ten games I played against sawfish( with both white and black) . Four rapid25+10 and six blitz 4+2 as always. Although no need to mention that sawfish is much stronger than me and other human players, even super grandmasters. I personally think swordfish is much better and reliable engine for practice and analysis. It’s just my personal opinion, nothing more , may be I am completely wrong.
Best regards and thanks for your fantastic works as always.
Hi!
Thanks for it, this is a great answer because it is a very honest answer. Even if I don't agree with everything.

I tested the engine with various modifications for about 15 days + about another 20 days for unreleased version of Blue Marlin 15.8. I was looking for settings to make it the most aggressive I can get with the new network, which in my tests is clearly more interesting than several previous networks. Personally, I think Sawfish plays very interesting and is a good successor to Blue Marlin. Sawfish was initially supposed to be a new version of Blue Marlin, but in the end I decided that if I did that, BM 15.7, being older and weaker, would be forgotten.

The greatest similarity between Sawfish and Swordfish is in their strength, but the style is quite different.

Homayoun

Post by Homayoun » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:46 pm

Thanks. 8-)

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 pm

Stockfish, ShashChess, Blue Marlin, Dragon (results only)

ShashChess is behind Stockfish in my test.
Dragon is free engine. https://komodochess.com/downloads.htm