Rybka 4 vs Stockfish 1.8 - Long TC Match - LIVE BROADCAST!

As in chess tournaments and matches...
Robert Houdart

Re: Rybka 4 vs Stockfish 1.8 - Long TC Match - LIVE BROADCAS

Post by Robert Houdart » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes, that is quite confusing, as everywhere in the SF source code there are references to POPCNT-enabled code via a <bool HasPopCnt> template.

But Tord is absolutely correct, I now see that the usage of the POPCNT routines has been disabled by default in bitcount.h (with a compiler conditional "USE_POPCNT"). To obtain the behaviour I described, you need to compile with the "USE_POPCNT" conditional on.

Interestingly Tord's estimate of about 3% speed improvement confirms my findings with Houdini, basically the POPCNT versions are hardly worth the while.

Robert

Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:Yes, that is quite confusing, as everywhere in the SF source code there are references to POPCNT-enabled code via a <bool HasPopCnt> template.

But Tord is absolutely correct, I now see that the usage of the POPCNT routines has been disabled by default in bitcount.h (with a compiler conditional "USE_POPCNT"). To obtain the behaviour I described, you need to compile with the "USE_POPCNT" conditional on.

Interestingly Tord's estimate of about 3% speed improvement confirms my findings with Houdini, basically the POPCNT versions are hardly worth the while.

Robert
Well, if one has a CPU which supports SSE 4.2 then it's very little effort from the end-user point of view (me). But I can see that it's not always easy to compile this stuff.

Robert, hopefully you will show up on chessbomb.com for the chat. I think many people would like to see you there.

Right now in Game #1 Houdini is under pressure.
TCEC - Thoresen Chess Engines Competition
http://tcec.chessdom.com

Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Robert,

This is a quote from Tord during game #1 when Houdini uses tons of time in forced mate positions:
TordRomstad: It would have been over a lot sooner if Houdini had played instantly when there's a forced mate, as most engines do.
Is this something you can implement?

Might not be the coolest feature, but it's handy when it comes to games like this one. ;)

Best Regards,
Martin
TCEC - Thoresen Chess Engines Competition
http://tcec.chessdom.com

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Martin Thoresen wrote:Robert,

This is a quote from Tord during game #1 when Houdini uses tons of time in forced mate positions:
TordRomstad: It would have been over a lot sooner if Houdini had played instantly when there's a forced mate, as most engines do.
Is this something you can implement?

Might not be the coolest feature, but it's handy when it comes to games like this one. ;)

Best Regards,
Martin
A very nice attack by SF in the first game - I find king safety by far the most difficult component to improve, as this game demonstrates :lol: .

I'll take a look at the time usage when there's a forced mate, but why didn't the GUI stop the game around move 40 when both programs were already announcing mate scores ?

Robert