Houdini 1.03a on 1 and 2 cores added to the IPON list

As in chess tournaments and matches...
IWB

Re: Houdini 1.03a on 1 and 2 cores added to the IPON list

Post by IWB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi all
Robert Houdart wrote:Pondering should work fine if you make sure that the two engines combined don't use more threads than the number of physical cores.
On a 4-core CPU you can give both engines 2 threads and they will not disturb each other too much.

Robert
RH is right, as long as you check that the number of threads is not bigger than the number of real cores there is absolutely no problem. Even the current CB GUI is working fine, the only problem is, that one can only start it once. In former times the older CB GUIs tend to steal a few percent (3-5) CPU time for the GUI, but even that is difficult to express in Elo and no longer existing in the F11/12 GUI.

Bye
Ingo
Ponder ON rating list: http://www.inwoba.de

Vael Jean-Paul

Re: Houdini 1.03a on 1 and 2 cores added to the IPON list

Post by Vael Jean-Paul » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:55 pm

I agree with that system..you have 4 cores..you give each engine 2 cores..very good!

But i will not play games like that..your engine is only using 50% for each engine..i want 100% and give full strenght to each engine!

If you have two same computers with 4 cores..on one computer you run a engine with 2cores and ponder on..
second system using same engine but with 4 cores..ok,in this situation i can also use ponder on..because i have to wait till other system gives
me a move back..so he is waiting for nothing..but still the 4core engine will be stronger..else it's time that everybody change the way of testing!
it would be a great test to see which is stronger..i go for the 4 cores!

JP.