Houdini/Fire

As in chess tournaments and matches...
Angel

Re: Houdini/Fire

Post by Angel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:Angel, that's quite an elaborate way of not giving me any useful information :) .

The speed comparison of point 2) doesn't need to be with Fire, you can use any program of your liking e.g. Ivanhoe or Stockfish.
Just analyze any midgame position for 30 seconds, and check the kn/s difference between Houdini and the other engine.
Repeat the test 3 times for the 1_CPU, 2_CPU and 4_CPU versions.

Cheers,
Robert
right now were testing a new ivanhoe love
were realy pc/prog dummys as far as in depth testings concerned , so all you will get from us is basic information...but honest information , our sister is somewhat less blonde but shes in hospital , but we shall ask her if she can give you a little more than we can ...dont hold your breath though...unless your realy krani bum ..then please do ..for 10 minutes :)
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:Thanks, clearly it's not the hash locking that slows down the code.

Could you take a look at my question 2)?
Just analyze any midgame position for 30 seconds, and check whether the same kn/s difference exists between the two engines. Preferably three different tests for the 1_CPU, 2_CPU and 4_CPU versions.

Your help is much appreciated,
Robert

PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Thank you, very helpful!

Taner Altinsoy

Post by Taner Altinsoy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm

I think I'm experiencing a similar issue in my AMD x2 4200 desktop comp and my intel celeron 1400 laptop. On my laptop (which is intel) Houdini v1 and 1.01 w32 (1 cpu) tops the tournament of about 15-16 top engines including rybka 4 and firebird series and ivanhoes and stockfish. But on my desktop (AMD) although tournament is 1/3 way through houdini w64 2cpu is like sharing 5th place. I don't know why there is such a difference in relative strength. Might be the OS, cpu, time control (laptop tournament is 2'2", despktop is 3'3"). I'm quite interested to know more about this issue as well. Hope you resolve this (if there is an issue) as soon as possible. And ty for such a strong program.

Taner Altinsoy

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Houdini developmental is great improvement on previouse versions popcount

Still has issues but is arguably best engine as it does not rely on table bases or large pages gimmicks (some cannot use ).. we belive it could soon be THE #1 engine

but not quite yet..

however in short tests it has surprised many

vrs Dr4 SEE42 Houdini WON +5 =17 -3

2+1 blitz , 965 AMD , same books , ponder OFF . 512 hash
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us