Deep Junior 12 running for the IPON

As in chess tournaments and matches...
Zarkon

Re: Deep Junior 12 running for the IPON

Post by Zarkon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:58 am

kingliveson wrote:Clearly DJ12 is a generation ahead of DJ11.2, but unfortunately I can't buy it because the license does not allow me to test it against top rated engines like Houdini and IvanHoe.
Where does it say that in the license?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Zarkon wrote:
kingliveson wrote:Clearly DJ12 is a generation ahead of DJ11.2, but unfortunately I can't buy it because the license does not allow me to test it against top rated engines like Houdini and IvanHoe.
I don't have the engine but am sure you might get some more info on the subject matter if you googled "This Software may not be used to play in the forthcoming Thueringen tournament of 2010, if that tournament includes Ippolit or any of its derivatives (variously named Igorrit, Robbolito, Firebird, IvanHoe and Tankist), except with the express premission of Amir Ban or Shay Bushinsky."
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Zarkon

Post by Zarkon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:01 am

kingliveson wrote:
Zarkon wrote:
I don't have the engine but am sure you might get some more info on the subject matter if you googled "This Software may not be used to play in the forthcoming Thueringen tournament of 2010, if that tournament includes Ippolit or any of its derivatives (variously named Igorrit, Robbolito, Firebird, IvanHoe and Tankist), except with the express premission of Amir Ban or Shay Bushinsky."
Seems to refer to Junior 11. You can read the license for Junior 12 by installing the demo. So are you going to buy it now? ;-)

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 am

Zarkon wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Zarkon wrote:
Seems to refer to Junior 11. You can read the license for Junior 12 by installing the demo. So are you going to buy it now? ;-)
Software licenses are governed by contracts with vendors, and by U.S. Copyright law. Individuals are at risk for civil and criminal penalties for software license violations. As an individual, you could be criminally prosecuted, fined up to $250,000 and even face jail time -- up to five years.

It could happen that after purchasing the license, I post results between Junior and Stockfish, but there’s a license restriction forbidding 1+0 bullet games against Stockfish -- because stockfish took a couple ideas from open-source IvanHoe.

The next thing is a court case ensued, and my desktop computer is confiscated. There is possibility my laptop and other computers in the home are seized as well, which means productivity will be halted until the digital forensics team completes its analysis. It could be weeks before the computers are returned.

In attempt to erase the posted results from the website (because comments are only allowed to be edited a few minutes after it has been posted), the server security triggers a hack alert. What happens next is Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) gets involved, and I am now being investigated for computer crime and tampering with evidence. Forced to flee to Cuba, BBC picks up the story from local Press, and International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) is notified.

Do you really think it’s worth being a fugitive over computer chess?
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

ernest

Post by ernest » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:41 pm

thorstenczub wrote:junior12 is weak and the people who sell it or announce it speak in the highest tone about it.
If you look at the latest CEGT 40/20 rating list, it seems that on Quad (900 games), Junior 12 is indeed an improvement:

Code: Select all

Deep Junior 12 x64    4CPU 3012 18 18 900
Deep Junior 11.1a x64 4CPU 2970 18 18 892
Deep Junior 11.2 x64  4CPU 2966 17 17 999

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm

yes it seems the scaling on 4 cpus for the 64bit version is better than the results/performance of the 1 cpu version.

But it does not look like the engine has a significant knowledge progress. the search is maybe more efficient on 4 cpus.