Help me set up a Match: Old vs. New

As in chess tournaments and matches...
Dave Mitchell

Help me set up a Match: Old vs. New

Post by Dave Mitchell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 am

Older software running on newest hardware, vs. newer software running on older hardware -- that's the goal of this match.

Since I'd like to make it a double round robin, I thought a software match program would be the only way to fly. Outside of running Winboard a decade ago, I'm clueless how this might be done.

The "older hardware" would be simulated via less time on the clock, and the whole match would run on an i7 Quad or a dual Quad Xeon 5420 server.

Thanks for your help, and congratulations on this forum. Being able to view chess games right in the browser is great!

Matthias Gemuh

Re: Help me set up a Match: Old vs. New

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:06 am

Dave Mitchell wrote:Older software running on newest hardware, vs. newer software running on older hardware -- that's the goal of this match.

Since I'd like to make it a double round robin, I thought a software match program would be the only way to fly. Outside of running Winboard a decade ago, I'm clueless how this might be done.

The "older hardware" would be simulated via less time on the clock, and the whole match would run on an i7 Quad or a dual Quad Xeon 5420 server.

Thanks for your help, and congratulations on this forum. Being able to view chess games right in the browser is great!
In ChessGUI 0.204, you would set the "Time Fraction" of the engines that should use less time.
"Time Fraction" = 8 means "use only 1/8 th of allocated time", for example.
Setup the tournament as "Team Fight" if you want only "old vs new".

Cheers,
Matthias.
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de

Dave Mitchell

Re: Help me set up a Match: Old vs. New

Post by Dave Mitchell » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm

In ChessGUI 0.204, you would set the "Time Fraction" of the engines that should use less time.
"Time Fraction" = 8 means "use only 1/8 th of allocated time", for example.
Setup the tournament as "Team Fight" if you want only "old vs new".
Thanks for your suggestions Mathias, and for all the work that went into ChessGUI - that's impressive! 8-)

I set up Fruit vs. Crafty for a test of 2 games as a Round Robin - but Fruit got put in as white, in both games. How can I tell it to swap colors after every game?

Also, just my curiosity, but what does the "< Button 16 >" do? I couldn't resist pushing it a few times, but couldn't determine what it did.