to Juri Osipov and BB: in what Houdini differs from IvanHoe?

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
magnumpi

to Juri Osipov and BB: in what Houdini differs from IvanHoe?

Post by magnumpi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:27 am

Hello, I've read here and there that Houdini is considered by someone a clone of IvanHoe (or Robbolito). If this is true, in what does Houdini differs from its parent? What are the improvements?
I bet Juri and BB already disassembled it and studied it :))

BB+

Re: to Juri Osipov and BB: in what Houdini differs from Ivan

Post by BB+ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Since you mention Juri first, I shall grant him the right of first response. One bug that Houdini seems to have introduced is 0xd5aa55aa55aa55aa for a colour-based bitboard mask.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm

I have always thought it to be rude to create a thread calling people out by names -- don't know why it just bothers me. On the other hand if say you create a thread with Hyatt's name asking question relating to Crafty, that's fine, but for general purpose questions, and out of common courtesy, not a fan of these kinds of threads...just me $.02.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:30 am

I have always thought it to be rude to create a thread calling people out by names -- don't know why it just bothers me.
I've always felt the same way. In any case, I happened to flip open a book ("The Idea of a University") last night, and immediately came across (the context being Western civilisation of two millennia ago):
When we pass from Greece to Rome, we are met with the common remark that Rome produced little that was original, but borrowed from Greece. It is true; Terence copied from Menander, Virgil from Homer, Hesiod, and Theocritus; and Cicero professed merely to reproduce the philosophy of Greece. But, granting its truth ever so far, I do but take it as a proof of the sort of instinct which has guided the course of civilization.
I'm not sure whether to say καί οὐκ ἔστι πᾶν πρόσφατον ὑπὸ τὸν ἥλιον or nihil novi sub sole (or maybe וְאֵין כָּל-חָדָשׁ, תַּחַת הַשָּׁמֶשׁ but that's hard to parse as the text runs the other direction).

Uly

Post by Uly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 am

If the thread is directed solely to Juri Osipov and BB, maybe the OP should have sent them private messages.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

BB+ wrote:Since you mention Juri first, I shall grant him the right of first response. One bug that Houdini seems to have introduced is 0xd5aa55aa55aa55aa for a colour-based bitboard mask.
The order doesn't matter. Even without being a programmer I read with interest all you threads with your code studies :)

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Uly wrote:If the thread is directed solely to Juri Osipov and BB, maybe the OP should have sent them private messages.
This thread is directed not only to Juri Osipov and BB. I asked for their opinions because I think, perhaps I'm wrong, that they are the ones that studied more and disassembled Rybka and the ippo engines. That's all.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Uly wrote:If the thread is directed solely to Juri Osipov and BB, maybe the OP should have sent them private messages.