Robbobase origin

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
benstoker

Robbobase origin

Post by benstoker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Don't see anywhere a discussion about the origin of the robbobase code. Is it presumably "original"?

BB+

Re: Robbobase origin

Post by BB+ » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 am

I have not seen anyone claim that it is not original to "Roberto Pescatore" (maybe "plus Decembrists"), except what I mentioned here regarding the computation of a suffix tree in the compression phase.

benstoker

Post by benstoker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 pm

BB+ wrote:I have not seen anyone claim that it is not original to "Roberto Pescatore" (maybe "plus Decembrists"), except what I mentioned here regarding the computation of a suffix tree in the compression phase.
Where you rate creation of the robbobase code on the "difficulty" scale? Hats off to the robbobase author(s)? Or, rather, nothing to sneeze at?

ernest

Post by ernest » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:08 am

BB+ wrote:I have not seen ....
About a year ago, I read somewhere in a Forum that they traced some origin with somebody real (not any "Roberto Pescatore"), doing a research project.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 am

About a year ago, I read somewhere in a Forum that they traced some origin with somebody real (not any "Roberto Pescatore"), doing a research project.
My only recollection of something like that was that Conkie(?) found an Italian guy who had been doing bitbases on/off for a number of years. I don't think there was anything definite. Maybe asking the EGTB forum would be the way to go.
Where you rate creation of the robbobase code on the "difficulty" scale? Hats off to the robbobase author(s)? Or, rather, nothing to sneeze at?
Hats off, definitely (even if it started out as someone else's research project, as conjectured above). The building code is much faster than Nalimov (especially after they added SMP, and the Larsson/Sadakane code I mentioned above), and they use less disk space in the "TotalBases" than any other such format (450GB vs 1.2TB for "standard" 6s). Even "minor" points like saving "win, draw, distance-to-loss" instead of "loss, draw, distance-to-win" (as FEG does, I think) seem to be done the "correct" way to my mind (well, after seeing their choice, now I understand why this is likely the superior way). The indexing is superior to Nalimov, but that doesn't say much. They have 5+1 done, and also a bitbase option, recently adding "dynamic loading" to the latter (previously, before they did 6s, you had to have these bitbases in memory it seems). The "Blocked" bases are another plus, though I guess they could go further and add "opposing pawns on same file" more generally.

Some negatives are: they use DTC rather than DTM, there is little documentation about how to "plug" it into an engine (though their ComStock code helps some with that), it's (yet another) format with many GBs to download, and building takes a large amount of memory (32GB, maybe you can do it in 16GB). I'm also not sure their bitbase compression is all that great, but maybe there is a space/time trade-off. There's also no "online" way to access the TotalBase info, though I guess this would not be too difficult (they have some Java GUI for this already).

ernest

Post by ernest » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 am

benstoker wrote:Don't see anywhere a discussion about the origin of the robbobase code. Is it presumably "original"?
I think BB+ gives a good advice: "Maybe asking the EGTB forum would be the way to go."

http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... um.php?f=6

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

BB+ wrote:
My only recollection of something like that was that Conkie(?) found an Italian guy who had been doing bitbases on/off for a number of years. I don't think there was anything definite. Maybe asking the EGTB forum would be the way to go.
[...]
Given Conkie's history of investigation success, it will be prudent to take whatever he says with a grain of salt. The thread (or topic) was created by Michael D. on talkchess EO hidden (requires log-in) sub-forum. I recall downloading some source and could not verify any of his wild claims.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

ernest

Post by ernest » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 pm

kingliveson wrote:...was created by Michael D. on talkchess EO hidden (requires log-in) sub-forum.
A search in talkchess (nothing hidden...) with Michael Diosi and robbobase leads to
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 847#333847
where Michael gives this link
http://users.libero.it/rigel_g/#Inglese

...probably nothing new?
Last edited by ernest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

ernest wrote:
kingliveson wrote:...was created by Michael D. on talkchess EO hidden (requires log-in) sub-forum.
You mean Michael Diosi?
What is talkchess EO hidden subforum?
Yes, Engine Origins to discuss clones. Hidden forum is not visible to the public.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

ernest

Post by ernest » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 pm

kingliveson wrote:Yes, Engine Origins to discuss clones. Hidden forum is not visible to the public.
In the mean time, I had edited my post!... :D

Note that Engine Origins is not (to my knowlege...) a hidden subforum.
"The Edge" in Rybka Forum is (to people with less than 500 posts).