chess engine feature

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
winchess

chess engine feature

Post by winchess » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm

For some chess research and chess education purposes, I would like to have a chess engine option so that when a chess position is entered, the engine is instructed to look at all black moves, even if horrible, at the same time look at either 1) all white moves also; or 2) the "best" white move; or 3) the "best" two white moves. Here I would want "two" replaced by "larger numbers".

Has anybody worked with such a feature? Or does anybody have a suggestion as to which open source engine would be best for adding this feature?

vittyvirus

Re: chess engine feature

Post by vittyvirus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 pm

winchess wrote:For some chess research and chess education purposes, I would like to have a chess engine option so that when a chess position is entered, the engine is instructed to look at all black moves, even if horrible, at the same time look at either 1) all white moves also; or 2) the "best" white move; or 3) the "best" two white moves. Here I would want "two" replaced by "larger numbers".

Has anybody worked with such a feature? Or does anybody have a suggestion as to which open source engine would be best for adding this feature?
But the problem is that to look for the 'best' white move, you need to look many moves ahead (see alpha-beta pruning and mini-max theory). You can't just decide which move is gonna be best for white based only on the current position of board, although you can 'evaluate' that position.