Hyper Threading On or Off ??

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
Sean Evans

Hyper Threading On or Off ??

Post by Sean Evans » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Hello group,

If I have a Quad Core 720QM for computer chess is it better to leave HT off or HT on. In addition, how do I turn HT off and on. I will be using Windows 7.

Thank you,

Sean

hyatt

Re: Hyper Threading On or Off ??

Post by hyatt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 am

Sean Evans wrote:Hello group,

If I have a Quad Core 720QM for computer chess is it better to leave HT off or HT on. In addition, how do I turn HT off and on. I will be using Windows 7.

Thank you,

Sean
It is OK to leave it on, if the operating system is smart. For example, if you have a quad-core chip, with hyper-threading on it will look like 8 cores to the operating system. You would never want to run 8 threads with a chess program, but if you run just four, Linux (for example, as I do not know about windows) will schedule each thread on a different physical core. It would be terrible if it scheduled the 4 threads on two cores since it would still see 4 processors being used, but each two logical processors share everything and do not execute parallel things very efficiently compared to separate real processors.

If you are not sure, I'd turn it off. And I would always turn "turbo-boost" off. It's a crock that screws up all sorts of benchmark timing information.

Uly

Post by Uly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 am

Specifically for Rybka, it hurts, unless you set up affinities manually.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 am

Ovyron wrote:Specifically for Rybka, it hurts, unless you set up affinities manually.

Just need a good operating system. :lol: Linux will handle this perfectly, and automatically. When we got our first i7-based box to test, I beat on this a lot and Ingo's process scheduler does exactly what it is supposed to do. Old versions were not so good and I kept SMT disabled in my old PIV xeon, but with kernels from the last year or so, this works flawlessly.