Open source chess engines question

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
alohachess

Open source chess engines question

Post by alohachess » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Aloha everyone!

I am from Hawaii.

Hope to engage with all of you for this mutual favorite pastime. I resumed chess after watching THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT. Haha!

My first chess computer was the CHESS CHALLENGER 7 so you can guess my age... hehe.

Anyway I want to create my own standalone chess device, using today's microchips (probably one of the PIC chips). Just enter coordinates for the move and it will display the response on LEDs. No smart chessboard.

I tried to find any open source chess engine, but some of the ones I downloaded from Github were confusing. It's always confusing to look at another person's code, and I have not actually done programming for years (I changed from technical to business, during my career in the technology industry).

However I am of course still a geek at heart, so it is not impossible for me. I want to edit some C code, so I can just compile it for the PIC.

I have no idea about the engine architectures. I assume there must be at least some part of the code with a function to input the move, and then it returns the move from the engine.

Languages that I have learned (myself) before, C, Java, Objective C, oh, also Python, but as I mentioned, I am rusty in programming and not done it professionally.

I have tools at home for doing PIC, and also even 6502 (forgot to mention I did 6502 assembly too, when I was a child, haha), so I can also do that but it is more of a hassle, since the microcontrollers have everything built in (RAM, ROM, etc). I also have two Arduinos and two Raspberry Pis.

If anyone actually understands what I typed, please help. I wanted to say, help an old guy, but I will wait another 10 years before I say that LOL.

Mahalo! (That means thanks in the Hawaiian language).

alohachess

Re: Open source chess engines question

Post by alohachess » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 pm

By the way, I already visited https://www.chessprogramming.org/

However, the list of engines there has no way to search and match the hardware architecture, e.g., what engines run on 6502, PIC, etc.

And again, even downloading the engine, it is very confusing to me.

I hope someone can help give me advice, at least give me an idea how these engines usually accept and output moves.