Notation converter from UCI to San

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
jr.capa

Notation converter from UCI to San

Post by jr.capa » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:00 am

Hi
Please is there any program out there (preferably no Phyton or dCode) that can convert UCI-notation to San-notation? Many thanks in advance
Capa

FritzUser

Re: Notation converter from UCI to San

Post by FritzUser » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:36 pm

pgn-extract can do it, if you don't have access to ChessBase. But if you do, just open it in CB and save it back out. Voila.

jr.capa

Post by jr.capa » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:25 pm

Hi
Thank you for your answer. I tried with pgn-extractor but it was not possible or maybe I did not manage to do it. I have a lot of high cuality games in UCI-notation (in coordinate notation) like e2e4 e7e5 g1f3 g8f6 d2d4 e5d4.... that I need to convert to SAN notation. I tried also with Scid vs Pc but I dont find the way to do it. Thank you again for kindness.

FritzUser

Post by FritzUser » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:56 pm

Yeah, looking further into it, it turns out that I was wrong about pgn-extract. But even if you don't have a copy of ChessBase, there *is* ChessBase Reader 2017, which is free. It should do it. Just open the file, then export it to a PGN. CB works in SAN, but it accepts inputs in all the other formats. So it just automatically converts everything for you.

jr.capa

Post by jr.capa » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:45 pm

Thanks so much. The program converts as you say uci notation to san but it does it one game at the time and it was difficult to save in pgn or san. I have a whole database for whites and blacks in text format. I need to do it with the entire database then I can create an opening book. I´ll keep looking for a way to do it. Thank you any way for your help and kindness!
Greetings
Capa

ZamChess

Post by ZamChess » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:59 am

Hi, jr.capa,

If you have 1000 games in .pgn uci format - open the file in CB turn it into CBH - and then turn it back into .pgn and notation will be SAN at all 1000 games.

FritzUser

Post by FritzUser » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:12 pm

This is the problem. CB Reader 2017 doesn't allow you to make a CBH. Only to work on ones that already exist.

jr.capa

Post by jr.capa » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:06 pm

Hi
Yes. My database is in UCI-notation (not pgn) more than 3000 winning games for both whites and blacks. CB doesn't open or convert the whole package at once. You must do it one at a time manually. Then it is a problem to find the converted file in program maps. It's created a repertoire for white and black but it doesn't allow you to copy this and move it to another map on your hard disk, you have to mail it to yourself or something like that. Thank both of you FritzUser and Zamchess for your commitment.
Have a nice day
Kind regard