SINGULAR in IvanHoe

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
BB+

SINGULAR in IvanHoe

Post by BB+ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 pm

I tried to quantify the ELO gain from singular extensions in IvanHoe. My code perusal implies that there are 4 places these come into play, twice in cut_node.c, and twice in pv_node.c. I eliminated 3 of these, both the SINGULAR computations for CUT nodes (both in-check and not), and the not in-check one at PV nodes. The only SINGULAR extensions still left seem to be those from forced moves when in check at a PV node (the main reason these were left in is simply that I was simply sloppy in doing this). However, there are still "extensions" based upon passed pawns and other features.

Results: a bit over 5000 games head-to-head games at 15s plus 0.25s increment on 1 cpu. The no-SINGULAR version searched an average of 3/4 ply deeper, but performed a tad over 20 ELO worse (around 5-6 sigma).

BB+

Re: SINGULAR in IvanHoe

Post by BB+ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:49 pm

I should make it more clear: I put an "#if 0" around all the code used in computing the SINGULAR condition.

benstoker

Post by benstoker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 am

BB+ wrote:I tried to quantify the ELO gain from singular extensions in IvanHoe. My code perusal implies that there are 4 places these come into play, twice in cut_node.c, and twice in pv_node.c. I eliminated 3 of these, both the SINGULAR computations for CUT nodes (both in-check and not), and the not in-check one at PV nodes. The only SINGULAR extensions still left seem to be those from forced moves when in check at a PV node (the main reason these were left in is simply that I was simply sloppy in doing this). However, there are still "extensions" based upon passed pawns and other features.

Results: a bit over 5000 games head-to-head games at 15s plus 0.25s increment on 1 cpu. The no-SINGULAR version searched an average of 3/4 ply deeper, but performed a tad over 20 ELO worse (around 5-6 sigma).
That result seems to be close to what Hyatt's tests are showing on the other forum.

Do you mind posting a diff?

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 am

Do you mind posting a diff?
The computer is at home (with no Internet access) and I am at work. I think the changes are: eliminate lines 146-167 and 379-400 of cut_node.c; and lines 205-229 of pv_node.c

Code: Select all

if (depth >= 16 && trans_move && MyOK (POSITION, trans_move)) // cut_node.c:146
    {
      v = MyExclude (POSITION, VALUE - VALUE_RED1, depth - DEPTH_RED,
                     trans_move & 0x7fff);
      CHECK_HALT ();
      if (v < VALUE - VALUE_RED1)
        {
          SINGULAR++;
          height = HEIGHT (POSITION);
          if (height * 4 <= depth)
            SINGULAR++;
          v = MyExclude (POSITION, VALUE - VALUE_RED2,
                         depth - DEPTH_RED, trans_move & 0x7fff);
          CHECK_HALT ();
          if (v < VALUE - VALUE_RED2)
            {
              SINGULAR++;
              if (height * 8 <= depth)
                SINGULAR++;
            }
        }
    }

if (depth >= 16 && trans_move) // line 379 of cut_node.c
    {
      v = MyExcludeCheck (POSITION, VALUE - depth,
                          depth - MIN (12, depth / 2), trans_move & 0x7fff);
      CHECK_HALT ();
      if (v < VALUE - depth)
        {
          SINGULAR++;
          height = HEIGHT (POSITION);
          if (height * 4 <= depth)
            SINGULAR++;
          v = MyExcludeCheck (POSITION, VALUE - 2 * depth,
                              depth - MIN (12, depth / 2), trans_move & 0x7fff)\
;
          CHECK_HALT ();
          if (v < VALUE - 2 * depth)
            {
              SINGULAR++;
              if (height * 8 <= depth)
                SINGULAR++;
            }
        }
    }

if (depth >= 16 && NextMove->trans_move && SINGULAR < 2 // pv_node.c:205
      && MyOK (POSITION, NextMove->trans_move))
    {
      move = NextMove->trans_move;
      if (check)
        v = MyExcludeCheck (POSITION, ALPHA - VALUE_RED1,
                            depth - DEPTH_RED, move & 0x7fff);
      else
        v = MyExclude (POSITION, ALPHA - VALUE_RED1,
      CHECK_HALT ();
      if (v < ALPHA - VALUE_RED1)
        {
          SINGULAR = 1;
          if (check)
            v = MyExcludeCheck (POSITION, ALPHA - VALUE_RED2,
          else
            v = MyExclude (POSITION, ALPHA - VALUE_RED2,
          CHECK_HALT ();
          if (v < ALPHA - VALUE_RED2)
            SINGULAR = 2;
        }
    }

benstoker

Post by benstoker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:56 pm

BB+ wrote:I tried to quantify the ELO gain from singular extensions in IvanHoe. My code perusal implies that there are 4 places these come into play, twice in cut_node.c, and twice in pv_node.c. I eliminated 3 of these, both the SINGULAR computations for CUT nodes (both in-check and not), and the not in-check one at PV nodes. The only SINGULAR extensions still left seem to be those from forced moves when in check at a PV node (the main reason these were left in is simply that I was simply sloppy in doing this). However, there are still "extensions" based upon passed pawns and other features.

20 ELO is not insignificant, but can one conclude from this that SE in ivan is NOT its holy grail? Kaufman said somewhere, I think, that ivan's unique SE is similar to rybka's and is the source of its strength.