Xbox reverse engineering

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
BB+

Xbox reverse engineering

Post by BB+ » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:31 am

Just to give an example of how technical these reverse engineering cases get, see http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=1472
The evidence presented by the US government included 150 non-original games in Crippen’s possession, along with two Xboxes that prior to Crippen’s modification, did not play copied games; but, after such modification, they did.
However, the author contests that the DMCA is not well-phrased:
So the first question upon which a jury must deliberate is: given that the document is entirely readable despite anti-counterfeit measures, do these anti-counterfeit measures constitute an effective access control that requires the application of information, or a process or a treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain access to the work?
And it seems to me that he tries to conclude via the traditional "trafficking parts of illegal weapons is not the same as trafficking illegal weapons" defence (also done with rip-off clothes and designer labels -- possession of either by itself is not a crime, but...):
The most important fact to be cognizant of in this system is that the “answer table” is not contained anywhere within the Xbox360 ODD mod applied by Mr. Crippen. Without the user of the modification also contributing the “answer table”, the mod is entirely incapable of performing any function.
Essentially his claim seems to be that Mr. Crippen was only providing a service that would allow the user to do something illegal. His opinion seems to be that this does not fall under the DMCA statute: No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title, as further circumvention by the user was necessary. Again I find this to be reminiscent of the divide-and-conquer approach to claiming that nothing illegal was done.

ilzadiraa

Re: Xbox reverse engineering

Post by ilzadiraa » Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 am

How can I keep my Xbox 360 in good shape? I just bought it 2 weeks ago and I really want to keep good care of it. So can anyone give me some advice to keep my Xbox 360 in good shape?

hyatt

Re: Xbox reverse engineering

Post by hyatt » Fri May 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Mount it high, not on the floor. Don't let it get covered with dust, pet hair and such. The PPC runs _HOT_. It needs cooling air. It does not want to be located in an enclosed space that traps the hot air. It needs lots of space around it to get the hot air away, and cool are can be pulled in by the fans...

If you keep it cool, it will last forever (assuming you have the newer version that doesn't use mechanical switches to eject the game or power on/off the box...) Heat will kill it, however.