The Bauhaus chess font in SCID

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)

Re: The Bauhaus chess font in SCID

Post by 2097 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 am

Hagen, thanks for your kind words. It means a lot.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:42 pm

2097 wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I didn’t know about this.

I designed this 2d-representation of Hartwig’s classic Bauhaus style chess set (without permission from Hartwig, because, well, he died) and submitted it to SCID.
I made it in the special format that SCID’s source code uses, which is bitmap images (as great as this style would be for a vector-style font design).

As far as I’m concerned, it’s available under the same terms as SCID itself, and there is no need to ask me for permission. These terms are the GNU General Public License.
It’s also possible to have a more restrictive view on this (depending on how you view Hartwig’s claims to this design, since it’s similar to his block pieces), or a less restrictive view (if you think your usage falls into fair use).

For the specific question about using these with »Chessbase« (I’m not familiar with that program)—if you want to distribute them with Chessbase, Chessbase would have to be GPL also. If you want to just use them at home, that’s of course fine, if you find a way to do it technically.

TL;DR: They’re available under the same terms as SCID itself, no need to ask me permission.

Sandra
I am not so sure the highlighted section is correct.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Post by 2097 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 am

Sure, I might have expressed myself clumsily and perhaps incorrectly.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Here’s another try: If you mix source code from SCID and Chessbase into one thing, and want to distribute that mixed thing, there are only two ways to do so. One is to go within what copyright laws in your region already gives you, in terms of fair use, private use etc. If you want to do more than that, you can, as long as you follow the GPL. If Chessbase’s license clashes with that, you’re stuck, unfortunately. Again, I don’t really know what Chessbase is, I’ve never tried using it or installing it.

BTW, I’m open to maybe in the future creating a font with this weird abstracted chess set, even if it means risk even more fury from Hartwig’s ghost.
For now, I’m kind of happy that it’s bringing people to SCID and other copylefted software.

Sandra

H.G.Muller

Post by H.G.Muller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 pm

These Bauhaus pieces remind me a bit of the 'mnemonic piece set' I designed for WinBoard to display large Shogi variants. (Which sometimes involve hundreds of piece types, so it becomes really essential to be able to see how a piece approximately moves from its symbol. Even Chu Shogi ('middle Shogi') involves 36 piece types, when you include all promoted types.)

Chu Shogi

Chess