The Bauhaus chess font in SCID

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Hagen

The Bauhaus chess font in SCID

Post by Hagen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

For those of you who are using the latest version of SCID from scid.sourceforge.net I'm floored by the new Bauhaus chess font piece set included in this release. I love this chess font set. It's sleek, modern and really terrific for studying diagrams. My question is this...is there any way I can get this font set for Chessbase? As far as I know this Bauhaus chess piece set in SCID is the only one that sports this option. All other software titles usually have USCF, Merida, etc. But the Bauhaus is really new and I'm wondering if there are any versions of this that can be installed separately in Windows 7 so I can use it for the other chess software programs like Arena, Chessbase, etc? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: The Bauhaus chess font in SCID

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 am

Hagen wrote:For those of you who are using the latest version of SCID from scid.sourceforge.net I'm floored by the new Bauhaus chess font piece set included in this release. I love this chess font set. It's sleek, modern and really terrific for studying diagrams. My question is this...is there any way I can get this font set for Chessbase? As far as I know this Bauhaus chess piece set in SCID is the only one that sports this option. All other software titles usually have USCF, Merida, etc. But the Bauhaus is really new and I'm wondering if there are any versions of this that can be installed separately in Windows 7 so I can use it for the other chess software programs like Arena, Chessbase, etc? Thanks in advance.
Here's an HTML page with the PGN data. You could probably convert it into font data manually, but you should get in touch with "Sandra Snan" and get her permission first.
Attachments
testpgn.zip
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

Hagen

Post by Hagen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 am

Forget it. I thought the Bauhaus chess font was something that was available for public download. I didn't mean to suggest trying to find a way around copyright issues. I'll just use SCID with the Bauhaus chess font that came with this release.

ernest

Post by ernest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:47 am

Hagen wrote:For those of you who are using the latest version of SCID from scid.sourceforge.net I'm floored by the new Bauhaus chess font piece set included in this release.
Hi,

Can you post an image or a link for these Bauhaus pieces?

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 am

ernest wrote:
Hagen wrote:For those of you who are using the latest version of SCID from scid.sourceforge.net I'm floored by the new Bauhaus chess font piece set included in this release.
Hi,

Download the HTML page I posted in this thread. It contains the piece images embedded as PNG data. Not really my thing, but Hagen seems to like them.

jb

ernest

Post by ernest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Download the HTML page I posted in this thread.
Hi Jeremy,

I did (testpgn.html), but all I obtain is a darkish page where on the left there is a list:
x Bauhaus 25
x Bauhaus 30
x Bauhaus 35
x Bauhaus 80

(I don't know how to attach the image to my post, but you get the picture... ;) )

ernest

Post by ernest » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
ernest wrote:
Hi,

Download the HTML page I posted in this thread. It contains the piece images embedded as PNG data. Not really my thing, but Hagen seems to like them.

jb
Since I now know how to post images, here is the testpgn.html that I obtain!... :(
Attachments
testpgn.html.png
where are the Bauhaus pieces?...
testpgn.html.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 am

ernest wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
ernest wrote:
Hi,

jb
Since I now know how to post images, here is the testpgn.html that I obtain!... :(
Looks like your browser doesn't support inline PNG data. I can open it fine in Safari and Firefox.

Jeremy

ernest

Post by ernest » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Looks like your browser doesn't support inline PNG data. I can open it fine in Safari and Firefox.
Thanks for the hint, Jeremy! Where IE7 couldn't, Firefox did it.

I must say that Bauhaus girl looked better to me when I had not yet unveiled her... ;)
Attachments
Bauhaus.png
...Bauhaus unveiled

Post by 2097 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I didn’t know about this.

I designed this 2d-representation of Hartwig’s classic Bauhaus style chess set (without permission from Hartwig, because, well, he died) and submitted it to SCID.
I made it in the special format that SCID’s source code uses, which is bitmap images (as great as this style would be for a vector-style font design).

As far as I’m concerned, it’s available under the same terms as SCID itself, and there is no need to ask me for permission. These terms are the GNU General Public License.
It’s also possible to have a more restrictive view on this (depending on how you view Hartwig’s claims to this design, since it’s similar to his block pieces), or a less restrictive view (if you think your usage falls into fair use).

For the specific question about using these with »Chessbase« (I’m not familiar with that program)—if you want to distribute them with Chessbase, Chessbase would have to be GPL also. If you want to just use them at home, that’s of course fine, if you find a way to do it technically.

TL;DR: They’re available under the same terms as SCID itself, no need to ask me permission.

Sandra