Houdini is a stolen copy of robbolito?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
User923005

Re: Houdini is a stolen copy of robbolito?

Post by User923005 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:41 am

No, no, no. It's not about the authors' rights now. It's about Europe's law, in relation to PD. And in Europe, (1) it is illegal to "close", use PD for one's personal gains etc. Again, I would have to find that exact link/source(s). (2) Even if IPPOLIT authors rescind their rights, ownership etc to IPPOLIT codes, in Europe, it is still regarded as Public Domain. And there are laws in Europe regulating this. Which brings us back to (1). (3)Yes, Public Domain can be used by any persons how they like. Just NOT in Europe. If Robert Houdart lived outside of Europe, then it's a different ball game. See the difference now?
Then consider it Creative Commons. That license is valid in Europe, I am sure, and it is the full equivalent of public domain.

If it were illegal to give something away in Europe, I suppose that makes a good laugh anyway. Glad I don't live there.

If you want a free instance, then get Ippolit/Robbolito/Ivanhoe/Whatever and have at it. I fail to see how anyone could possible imagine harm in this scenario.

User923005

Post by User923005 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 am

Isn't Airbus in Europe? They seem to be breaking the law, because they are using SQLite, which is public domain:
http://sqlite.org/famous.html

User923005

Post by User923005 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 am

It is clear to me that this is the public domain equivalent in Europe:
https://creativecommons.org/tag/europea ... -framework

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun May 13, 2012 2:32 am

User923005 wrote:It is clear to me that this is the public domain equivalent in Europe:
https://creativecommons.org/tag/europea ... -framework
Did you read the Update on the matter?

The Update elucidates on the pros/cons of open date (open source, in this case). It went on to enunciate on the case of "The Milkmaid", from which emerged over 10,000 fake, yellow-colored copycats of the "original" picture allover the internet. People who weren't cognizant of the origins of The Milkmaid and/or its resolution encountered confusions & difficulties, relative to the authenticity of The Milkmaid, when faced with the original picture - which had high-resolution. Needless to emphasize, the problem was fixed by the original company.

See any similarities today, over the internet, relative to fake and/or modified copies of the original? I do. IPPOLIT / Robbolito and Houdini fits this scenery perfectly, irrespective of IF modifications of IPPO/Robbo yielded a weaker or stronger derivative. Additionally, Robert Houdart claimed Houdini was/is NOT a derivative of IPPOLIT/Robbolito. Based on concrete tests and data-output bearing similarities to Robbolito, we know Robert Houdart was untruthful in his assertions appertaining originality of Houdini.

That's the core concern of "The Milkmaid" and the European Law regarding Public Domain and any other forms of open-sourced data. That is to say, the re-use of open-data without acknowledgement of the PD source or original product won't stand.

User923005

Post by User923005 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am

Yes, I read the update.
I also read the creative commons license.
It is crystal clear the the creative commons level 0 license is public domain in Europe. End of story

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun May 13, 2012 5:13 pm

User923005 wrote:Yes, I read the update.
I also read the creative commons license.
It is crystal clear the the creative commons level 0 license is public domain in Europe. End of story
Actually, it's not the end of story. Are we forgetting the 70-year mandate? Or how about the Update to current European Law showing concerns over copyrights/Public Domain and modifications of it?

There's a reason for changes and the 70-year rule. So, no; it's not the end of story. We can't cherry-pick.

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun May 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't dispute "other" people/regions/continents' right to benefit from Public Domain. But is this applicable to Europe?
And of course, there's the other question of: why Robert Houdart denied using IPPO/Robbo codes in Houdini.