Cannot make Houdini 1.5 to use gaviota's egtb

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
fluidistic

Cannot make Houdini 1.5 to use gaviota's egtb

Post by fluidistic » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:13 am

Hi guys,
I've downloaded Houdini 1.5 and Arena 3.0.
I have downloaded all the 3-men egtb, most of the 4 and 5 too. However when I set any position with 3 pieces, Houdini never uses the gaviota egtb. For example it would take it a few seconds of thinking to find the checkmate of k+r vs k; it never uses the tablebases I have.
In the configuration of the engine I specified the path to the gaviota 3-men egtb and in the Arena --> option -->Configure Tablebases, I speficied the path to the 3 to 5 gaviota's tablebases as well as the compression (4).
The tablebases "work" because I can see the suggested moves in Arena but the engine Houdini 1.5 seems unaware of the egtb.
Any idea on what's going on? I've been downloading the egtb for 2 days now and I'm almost done but this doesn't look promising so far :(
Here's a screenshot of the working tablebases and Houdini not using them: Image.

Simon T

Re: Cannot make Houdini 1.5 to use gaviota's egtb

Post by Simon T » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Open the engine configuration page (Ctrl+1) and set GaviotaTbPath to the location of the tablebases.

fluidistic

Post by fluidistic » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi and thanks for the fast reply!
Simon T wrote:Open the engine configuration page (Ctrl+1) and set GaviotaTbPath to the location of the tablebases.
I already tried this, this is what I meant by "In the configuration of the engine I specified the path to the gaviota 3-men egtb".
My path is C:\Documents and Settings\Pc\Escritorio\Isaac\Ajedrez\Arena 3.0\TB\gtb.cp4\gtb3.
I attach 2 screenshots of the situation: http://imgur.com/a/ye13a.
This is not working.

Simon T

Post by Simon T » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 am

You seem to be using version 1.5 so you could try version 1.5a which says it has some improvements related to EGTB detection.

fluidistic

Post by fluidistic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:13 am

Thank you very much, I just tried with Houdini 1.5a and after putting all the gaviota tablebases inside the same folder, it works.
I did not dowloaded that engine at first because I had read it was significantly weaker than the 1.5 version. But it doesn't matter that much to me, the egtb working was my main priority so let me thank you very much.

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:14 am

I've never seen any evidence that houdini 1.5a is weaker than 1.5. 1.5a is still the 2nd strongest engine in the world, next to 2.0c. CCRL, http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/r ... t_all.html
IPON, http://www.inwoba.de/