Opening book request?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
sekos

Re: Opening book request?

Post by sekos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 am

Sure think, If I understand You correct , You can using f.e. Polyglot book in configurations Engine
For Example Stockfish or Komodo , then You can open i UCI configurations specific book.bin than you can play exactly debiut You want.
Also it is possible in Houdini, here You must use adapter polyglot and add specific book. In polyglot ini You must configurate and add houdini.exe

sekoschess

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

alext180 wrote:Hi, if it is possible, can someone make an opening book that when loaded into an engine it will make the engine play super aggressive (and sometimes speculative and not very high level) gambit openings such as the Evan's Gambit, Danish Gambit, or even Halloween Gambit as white, but still have the book available and ability to play regular openings like Ruy Lopez or Sicilian if playing black? I just want a book that will make the engine play those kinds of gambits, thank you.
Just a comment to add.

Your request is a 2-fold combo. For one, you definitely need various gambit game collections or database of interest and of course make the book. Then you would need to tune the openings. For bin books, you would need to set the opening of your liking in the SCID GUI or Scid vs PC GUI. I don't have Fritz/Chessbase/Shredder GUIs - so I can't help there...

The other fold is, your request seem to require an engine that allows for manual opening-settings. Zappa (or Zappa Mexico) fits this criteria nicely. I don't have Zappa Mexico engines but if I remember correctly, Zappa has it's .ini file in which you can configure openings of your preference. It also has it's own book. I can't remember if Zappa gave instruction on how to make its book - which would allow you to make gambit boots and choose openings. Strength-wise, it is outdated, compared to today's top engines. But I think it's the only engine that fits what you're looking for. The other engine is Shredder but I don't know if Shredder's Opening Advise allows for manual opening manipulations. I don't have that also to verify for you.

Sorry, I wish I could help more.

alext180

Post by alext180 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 am

Prima wrote:
alext180 wrote:Hi, if it is possible, can someone make an opening book that when loaded into an engine it will make the engine play super aggressive (and sometimes speculative and not very high level) gambit openings such as the Evan's Gambit, Danish Gambit, or even Halloween Gambit as white, but still have the book available and ability to play regular openings like Ruy Lopez or Sicilian if playing black? I just want a book that will make the engine play those kinds of gambits, thank you.
Just a comment to add.

Your request is a 2-fold combo. For one, you definitely need various gambit game collections or database of interest and of course make the book. Then you would need to tune the openings. For bin books, you would need to set the opening of your liking in the SCID GUI or Scid vs PC GUI. I don't have Fritz/Chessbase/Shredder GUIs - so I can't help there...

The other fold is, your request seem to require an engine that allows for manual opening-settings. Zappa (or Zappa Mexico) fits this criteria nicely. I don't have Zappa Mexico engines but if I remember correctly, Zappa has it's .ini file in which you can configure openings of your preference. It also has it's own book. I can't remember if Zappa gave instruction on how to make its book - which would allow you to make gambit boots and choose openings. Strength-wise, it is outdated, compared to today's top engines. But I think it's the only engine that fits what you're looking for. The other engine is Shredder but I don't know if Shredder's Opening Advise allows for manual opening manipulations. I don't have that also to verify for you.

Could I configure the Zappa opening book and then take that book and use it in a different engine?

Prima

Post by Prima » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 am

alext180 wrote:
Prima wrote:
Just a comment to add.

Could I configure the Zappa opening book and then take that book and use it in a different engine?
No. Zappa's book extension is .zbook - which means only Zappa can use such extension-book(s).

If Zappa had its own GUI which uses .zbook natively, analogous to ChessBase's/Fritz's .ctg usage, wherein all UCI engines can use the .zbook extension, then that would be possible. But I don't think (and I'm not sure) Zappa has it's own custom GUI.