RobboBases

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Prima

Re: RobboBases

Post by Prima » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:21 pm

kingliveson wrote:You are over looking the answer. Directory in which you place the TripleBases does not actually matter. You can place all TripleBases in directories 6 or 2, and the engine will still find, load, and use them. The partition is merely structure for you and I, not the engine -- it removes clutter and helps you to know what you're downloading.

If the directories were to matter (which they do not), you would only have these: 2, 3, 4, 5, Z, 33, 42, 51, 6Z. 6 is nothing, it is just another place where the engine looks for TripleBases files. You could move all contents of 33, 42, 51, and 6Z into 6 and then delete those directories, and the engines will still find them in the 6 directory.

The structure also helps when you need to put certain TripleBases on RAM. With the newest RobboBaseLib, you don't need to enter full path anymore for RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory, you can enter any one of the valid and accepted sub-directories. To load multiple directories, you separate with a pipe, eg: 5|Z. TripleBases 2, 3, and 4 are loaded automatically onto RAM once RobboTripleBaseDirectory path is given.
Okay thanks for elaborating on & clarifying this misconception. By the way, can I BulkLoad all Triple bases (excluding 2,3,4) with
Hash = 512MB, and
Triple HashSize = 8MB, and
DynamicLoadTripleBaseCacheSize = 8MB ?

Will such settings cause problems for the engine's Hash or negatively affect engine performance in anyway, shape, or form? What is your personal experience and/or opinion? Thanks for any input.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 am

Prima wrote: Okay thanks for elaborating on & clarifying this misconception. By the way, can I BulkLoad all Triple bases (excluding 2,3,4) with
Hash = 512MB, and

Will such settings cause problems for the engine's Hash or negatively affect engine performance in anyway, shape, or form? What is your personal experience and/or opinion? Thanks for any input.
Well, it depends what you mean by all the TripleBases, and how much RAM is available on the system. The 33s alone are 47 GB. ~814 MB RAM is required to put 2, 3, 4, 5, Z in memory.

Code: Select all

info string Now 600 RobboTripleBases in all
info string 62 CompleteDirect (5mb) plus 272 BulkDynamic (795mb)
info string Loadable are 210 more RobboTripleBases Plus: 56 buy the trivially!
TripleHashSize (TripleHash) stores score for TripleBase positions probed which complements DynamicLoadTripleBaseCacheSize. It can however decrease NPS when set too high. I dont have optimal values yet for these which can only be achieved through testing. It also depends on how fast a processor the system has, RAM, and the task.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 am

kingliveson wrote:
Prima wrote: Okay thanks for elaborating on & clarifying this misconception. By the way, can I BulkLoad all Triple bases (excluding 2,3,4) with
Hash = 512MB, and

Well, it depends what you mean by all the TripleBases, and how much RAM is available on the system. The 33s alone are 47 GB. ~814 MB RAM is required to put 2, 3, 4, 5, Z in memory.

Code: Select all

info string Now 600 RobboTripleBases in all
info string 62 CompleteDirect (5mb) plus 272 BulkDynamic (795mb)
info string Loadable are 210 more RobboTripleBases Plus: 56 buy the trivially!
TripleHashSize (TripleHash) stores score for TripleBase positions probed which complements DynamicLoadTripleBaseCacheSize. It can however decrease NPS when set too high. I dont have optimal values yet for these which can only be achieved through testing. It also depends on how fast a processor the system has, RAM, and the task.
Thanks.

Regards.

robbolito

Post by robbolito » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi King,
I have followed this discussion on Triplebases but not much information was made about Totalbases.
Last two weeks I have spent time downloading Totalbases and right now I have 264 Gig put in Totalbase folder.
Yesterday just for fun I have tried to play the engine with Totalbases only and I have not seen RB hits in the GUI so I would like to know few things why is this happening.
Are Totalbases 1. made to be used together with Triplebases and can not be used alone.Of the Totalbases 2. which files are most important to have in main folder.Are Totalbases 3. very important or now I am having dead weight of 264 Gig on my hard drive that in combination with Triplebases comes to 389 Gig.Thank god they invented 1 Terabyte HD.Ad to that Tablebases and almost the half of your HD is taken.
Also 4. is there advantage or even slowdown effect having so many RBs available since I am still downloading 6Z file and still have few more days to go because the download speed is low compared to the time I was downloading Triplebases
I would appreciate yours or any other persons response to these 4 questions.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 pm

@ robbolito,

You dont and wont see TB Hits when using only RobboTotalBases because they are not used during search (only at root). They come to play and take over when pieces left on board equal the available tablebases you've loaded. It is kind of like when some GUIs takeover control of the game with Nalimov, but in this case since currently no GUI support them, the engine handles it.

RobboTripleBases however are where real benefit lies as they are used all over during search. There is no slowdown using RobboTotalBases as they are not used during search. Like Nalimov and Gaviota, there's is some slowdown with TripleBases when probed and used during search. RobboTripleBase does have some advantages; they are a little lighter, and you can also put them in RAM which speeds up things considerably compared to direct probing from Hard Disk.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

robbolito

Post by robbolito » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks King,
this was helpful information.I will continue with the download of 6Z files.To bad that the download is slow.Presently is 150 Kb/s so it could take 8 more days.

Krzychu

Post by Krzychu » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:44 am

I have so request. Whether somebody can make the file available unabridged base RobboTotalBases.