RobboBases

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
kingliveson

RobboBases

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:32 am

RobboBases are available at: http://chess.cygnitec.com/RobboBases/

RobboTotalBase and RobboTripleBase are compressed and split with 7-Zip (http://7-zip.org) for easier download. For the engine to load and use these TableBases, RobboTripleBase and RobboTotalBase directories must be structured.

1. Create a directory called RobboBases and then create two sub-directories (RobboTripleBase and RobboTotalBase) under RobboBases.
2. Create five sub-directories (2, 3, 4, 5, and Z) under RobboTripleBase directory.
3. Create four sub-directories (3, 4, 5, and Z) under RobboTotalBase directory.
4. Download each archive to the corresponding directory.
5. To extract, right-click the archive (for the split files, use the archive ending with 001), with 7-Zip, make sure to click Extract Here.

Loading And Using

First, if you have Nalimov tablebases and GUI support, you may not need RobboTotalBase. RobboTripleBase, you need however.

Arena: From IvanHoe configuration (UCI) screen, either copy/paste or browse to location where RobboBases are installed. You have to either Register (Totalbase) or load (triplebase) for them to be used during games or analysis mode. But but, I want it to load automatically...help!! Ok!

Under directory where Arena is installed, there is a file (ArenaENG.cfg) that holds configuration for all your engines. Make a backup copy now before reading the next sentence. Open this file with any text editor -- notepad works. You will see strings separated by pipes; ignore these lines. Scroll down until you see something similar:
[SOS 5.1 for Arena]
NalimovPath=<empty>
MultiPV=1
NalimovCache=1
Hash=0
Nullmove=true
Material only=false
Ponder=false
UseNalimov=true
Brute Force=false
OwnBook=true
Look for IvanHoe version you are interested in configuring. The nice thing about Arena is it keeps the directory for the RobboBases. You should see
something like this:
RobboTripleBaseDirectory=%ArenaDrive%\chess\tablebases\RobboBases\RobboTripleBase
RobboTotalBaseDirectory=%ArenaDrive%\chess\tablebases\RobboBases\RobboTotalBase
Add two additional lines and save the config file:

Code: Select all

LoadRobboTripleBases=LoadRobboTripleBases
RegisterRobboTotalBases=RegisterRobboTotalBases
Fritz: This GUI will not remember the directories, and you must set it each time. A simple trick -- when creating UCI Engine, before clicking OK, go to parameter, set the directories, and click OK. It will complain that you need to modify the name -- just place your cursor right to last character and press the space-bar, then click Ok. RobboBase must still be registered/loaded.

But there is a better approach which is similar to Arena method. Create a new engine, and with show hidden files/folders enabled, browse to
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\ChessBase\Engines.UCI

or it might be
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\ChessBase\Engines.UCI

Open the UCI engine file with your favorite text editor, and modify it to mirror sample below with correct directories:
[ENGINE]
Name=IvanHoe 9.57b x64
Author=Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin, Igor Igorovich Igoronov, Roberto Pescatore, Yusuf Ralf Weisskopf, Ivan Skavinsky Skavar plus Decembrists (all)
Filename=X:\chess\engine\ivanhoe\IvanHoe999957a.exe
[OPTIONS]
PawnsHash=16
Threads=4
RobboTotalBaseDirectory=X:\chess\tablebases\RobboBases\RobboTotalBase
RobboTripleBaseDirectory=X:\chess\tablebases\RobboBases\RobboTripleBase
These four lines are all that's needed -- works for ChessGUI, Polyglot, and other GUIs as well.

Code: Select all

RobboTotalBaseDirectory=RobboTotalBaseDirectory
RobboTripleBaseDirectory=RobboTripleBaseDirectory
This should work for Capitalist and Non-Capitalist users. :P
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

kingliveson

Re: RobboBases

Post by kingliveson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 am

The above post will no longer be valid for builds available at chess.cygnitec.com/engine/ivanhoe starting with the next release. There will be a slight adjustment to the official source as to how RobboBases can loaded. The default uses a button which is not as user friendly. A combo-box (drop menu) will be used from here on forward.

-In Arena for example, when in tournament mode, the first game will use RobboBases after it has been manually loaded, then when the engine is restarted for next game, the tablebases are no longer available. The fix is above, editing Arena engines' config file -- works for ChessGUI and PolyGlot.

-Another problematic GUI, Fritz will not respond to the auto-load method that works for Arena. Fritz's engine.uci config file does not respond to button commands.

The solution is to use a combo-menu. Arena and ChessGUI will retain settings without having to tamper with config files. Fritz requires however a slight modification to the engine.uci file -- for example:

RobboBasesUsage=0 for option 1 (loads both RobboTripleBases and RobboTotalBases) RobboBasesUsage=1 for option 2 (loads RobboTripleBases only)
RobboBasesUsage=2 for option 3 (loads RobboTotalBases only)

Note: As of writing this, RobboTripleBases available at http://chess.cygnitec.com/RobboBases/ are the older format which do not allow dynamic loading and must be loaded onto RAM at once. The new format is available here.
Attachments
20101213_robbobase_button.png
20101213_robbobase_button.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 9673 times
20101213_robbobase_combo.png
20101213_robbobase_combo.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 9673 times
20101213_robbobase_combo_drop.png
20101213_robbobase_combo_drop.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 9673 times

Prima

Post by Prima » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks Kingliveson for this info.

It is sad, however, that the new Robbobases are not backward compatible - especially with FireBird engines, and previous IvanHoe versions. I would have love to see FireBird (especially FB 1.1) in action using the 6-piece Robbobases. In this context, it seems this non backward-compatibility of the new Robbobases puts previous engines and FireBird to waste....sort of.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:36 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "backwards-compatible" here, as it seems to be more like a lack of "forward-compatibility". :lol: I'd think it would pretty hard for Fire to guess what the new "RobboBase" format was going to be. I'm not completely sure, but I think KLO said the old bases work with the new engines, which is what "backwards" would mean compatibility-wise to me.

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:17 am

Well if you put it that way, I guess FireBird needs a forward-compatibility :) I just hate the thought of not able to use the new Robbobases, specifically the 6-pieces with FireBird. I never thought the old bases could still work with the new IvanHoes. I guess I really slacked in the IvanHoe engine follow-ups and updates. Thanks for the information.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:57 pm

The use of combo box to load Robbobases will be on hold for now to see how users like the new released source approach. Simply inputing the path will load the tablebases which is an improvement from button, though am not sure it's still the best way.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:08 am

Newer RobboTripleBases (up to 5-men) are available at http://chess.cygnitec.com/RobboBases/

Prima

Post by Prima » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 am

kingliveson wrote:Newer RobboTripleBases (up to 5-men) are available at http://chess.cygnitec.com/RobboBases/
Thanks Kingleveson but I'm even more confused now, regarding RobboTripleBases. If I'm not mistaken, there's the (#1) old or original RobboTripleBases with up to 5-pieces. Then we have the (#2) newer or second-generation RobboTripleBases - which includes up to 6-pieces. Which one is this that comes in 5-pieces? Is it the 3rd generation of RobboTripleBases?

Best.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 am

Prima wrote:
kingliveson wrote:Newer RobboTripleBases (up to 5-men) are available at http://chess.cygnitec.com/RobboBases/
Thanks Kingleveson but I'm even more confused now, regarding RobboTripleBases. If I'm not mistaken, there's the (#1) old or original RobboTripleBases with up to 5-pieces. Then we have the (#2) newer or second-generation RobboTripleBases - which includes up to 6-pieces. Which one is this that comes in 5-pieces? Is it the 3rd generation of RobboTripleBases?

Best.
As of IvanHoe 999946, older RobboTripleBases are no longer supported. Newer RobboTripleBases support began with IvanHoe version 999950. The older format are supported by IvanHoe versions 999987 to 999947, and there are no 6-men sets. Remember that IvanHoe uses a version down numbering scheme.

RobboBases 6-men (33, 42, 51, and 6Z) sets are available at:
http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/RobboTripleBases
http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/TotalBases+Download

Prima

Post by Prima » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Prima wrote:

Best.
As of IvanHoe 999946, older RobboTripleBases are no longer supported. Newer RobboTripleBases support began with IvanHoe version 999950. The older format are supported by IvanHoe versions 999987 to 999947, and there are no 6-men sets. Remember that IvanHoe uses a version down numbering scheme.

RobboBases 6-men (33, 42, 51, and 6Z) sets are available at:
http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/RobboTripleBases
http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/TotalBases+Download
Thanks. If memory serves me, these new RobboTripleBases were released either last year or early this year - which I had already downloaded. I guess by your announcement of "New RobboTriplebases", I wrongly assumed this was a 3rd-generation RobboTripleBase, created just recently [October 2011 or so].