Chess for Glass

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
AartBik

Chess for Glass

Post by AartBik » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Besides Chess for Android, I have been working on another project, which has been officially released today!

Chess for Glass is Glassware that runs directly on Glass. You can enter moves by simply saying the moves, or by using the touch pad. Other features include a choice in board color, spoken move announcements, and the ability to import any third party chess engine to replace the friendly built-in Java engine. Chess for Glass recognizes Chessbase compatible engines that are installed as other application on the same Glass device, and supports both the popular UCI and XBoard/WinBoard protocols.

lucasart

Re: Chess for Glass

Post by lucasart » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Hello Aart,

I'm a big fan of Chess for Android. I'm sure your Glass version will also be great. Unfortunately, I'm lagging behind with technology. I only recently adopted the smartphone thing, otherwise I'm an old-school desktop guy (no laptop, netbook, tablet for me, thanks). But when I eventually catch up with technology and get a pair of Google Glasses, I will definitely being playing with your "Chess for Glass" program.

Can an ARM binary run on Glass, or do you need a special compile?
Is it possible to compile DiscoCheck for Glass? Latest code here:
https://github.com/lucasart/chess/releases

PS: Is it allowed to drive with Google Glasses on? Imagine driving while playing chess with one eye, and skyping with the other. Quite distracting, isn't it?

Cheers,
Lucas
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds.

AartBik

Re: Chess for Glass

Post by AartBik » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 pm

lucasart wrote:Can an ARM binary run on Glass, or do you need a special compile?
Is it possible to compile DiscoCheck for Glass?
Absolutely! In fact, I have DiscoCheck running on Glass by side-loading my chess engine package. Also other features, such as endgame tablebases are fully functional, although the set up may be a bit hardcore for the time being. Over time, I hope to provide easier ways of enabling such features.

As for your second question: don't chess and drive! Please enjoy the application where it is safe.