Which engine for an absolute beginner?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Rooky

Which engine for an absolute beginner?

Post by Rooky » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm just starting to learn chess and would like to train against the computer. Note that's "starting" as in "I know how the pieces move". I have watched some youtube chess commentaries though so I have a rough idea about some basic tactics.

Question: What chess engine can simulate another *human*, very weak player w/o blasting me off the board or being crippled into producing outright stupid moves?

There are so many chess engines around I'm having a hard time looking through all of them. Currently I'm using Rodent, but the author writes that the "weakening" feature is still experimental. I like Rodent's quick settings for different chess "personalities" and opening styles though.

Thanks for any hints what engine is adequate!

HumbleProgrammer

Re: Which engine for an absolute beginner?

Post by HumbleProgrammer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 pm

This may not be the answer you were expecting, but you will benefit much more from playing against other people. Chess engines -- even when deliberately weakened -- don't play the same way humans do: they don't overlook moves, they don't form flawed plans, and don't have favorites or phobias. When asked about "this engine or that engine", several GMs have answered "Why would I play against an engine? They play very boring chess."

There are lots of ways to play chess with people: local clubs, an equally novice friend, or via the Internet. You can play for free on FICS or ICCS, or join subscription sites like http://www.chess.com or www.playchess.com; there are literally thousands of games going on simultaneously. all around the world.

Having said that, if you really (really) want to play against an engine I would recommend you spend about US$10 and buy a copy of Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition. It certainly isn't anywhere near the top tier of chess engines, but by the time that makes a difference, you'll know a lot more about what you want or need. Chessmaster is designed for beginners, and does a good job of emulating human play; it also has a half-way decent set of training videos and exercises.

Cheers!
Humble Programmer
,,,^..^,,,

ernest

Post by ernest » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:31 pm

HumbleProgrammer wrote:I would recommend you spend about US$10 and buy a copy of Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition.
Any idea where the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition can be found ?
Couldn't find it, even on eBay...

HumbleProgrammer

Post by HumbleProgrammer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Ubisoft sold the rights to Encore, which has repackaged the final version (Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition AKA "Chessmaster XI") as Chessmaster Collector's Edition. To add to the confusion, there is also Chessmaster: Art of Learning, which (I believe) is essentially the same version, but with a membership to a (now defunct) online service. You can also get a version for the Nintendo DS, IIRC.

Cheers!
Humble Programmer
,,,^..^,,,

H.G.Muller

Post by H.G.Muller » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 pm

You could try N.E.G. 0.3d. This is an engine without search, which statically counts how many times pieces are attacked and defended, and plays the most profitable capture. Or, if none is available, a check or a centralizing non-capture, with a lot of randomization. Otherwise it is completely stupid.

This should make a good sparring partner for an absolute beginner. It can be downloaded from:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/dwnldpage.html

It can be run in any GUI that supports WB protocol (E.g. WinBoard).

Vael Jean-Paul

Post by Vael Jean-Paul » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 am