Fritz under linux

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
JcMaTe

Fritz under linux

Post by JcMaTe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 pm

I am moving from windows to Linux ( ubuntu) and I need install Fritz , if somebody knows how to install it can help me with this?
Thank you so much!

pmueller

Re: Fritz under linux

Post by pmueller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm

JcMaTe wrote:I am moving from windows to Linux ( ubuntu) and I need install Fritz , if somebody knows how to install it can help me with this?
Thank you so much!
I have read of some more or less successful installations using wine. I never have been. Wine also supports 32 bit only. If you really "need" Fritz why trying to run it on a platform it hasn't been designed for?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I too have not had success trying to install Fritz (with WINE) in Linux. I use openSUSE. I will try again and report the outcome.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

alfons

Post by alfons » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm

make sure, that you're indeed using wine's latest release:
http://www.winehq.org/download
or *Ubuntu:
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html
*Debian:
http://www.lamaresh.net/binary.php
* no need for enabling extra repositories, if that's a plus for you

If dependencies can't be satisfied, stay away from the latest versions though.

Older Frittz versions (up to 9?!) do run with the help of wine. Newer versions might not, but often the occuring problems are WindowsMediaPlayer/directX related - so make sure to get these programs installed too.
Fritz 8 is working properly (whithin reason) under Debian stable for me.

greetings

Octopus

Post by Octopus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:29 pm

It does not make sense to write about windows programs under a Linux platform board. It still will remain a windows program. Maybe a special section for emulators like Wine / CrossOver would be more logical. I think those platform specific boards like this one should be reserved for platform specific GUIs and engines.

Martin Andersen

Post by Martin Andersen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 am

Yes, why move to Ubuntu and then ask how to run Fritz ?
I think it will be very difficult to get it running. I have
many years of experience with wine, and it still gives me a lot of trouble.

alfons

Post by alfons » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:21 pm

jacmate asked how to run fritz under linux with the help of wine. he might be planning to continue his adventures on the playchess-server in a different/changed environment (linux), so the question fits perfectly well in here, i think.

there is no obvious reason (it would be mental and not logical) for cluttering the board with introducing a special wine/crossover section - filled with one or two posts.

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Martin Andersen wrote:Yes, why move to Ubuntu and then ask how to run Fritz ?
Why i move to linux just simple because is better

I already install fritz 12 in linux using wine thanks for you answer , and is working fine

Martin Andersen

Post by Martin Andersen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:19 pm

JcMaTe wrote:
Martin Andersen wrote:Yes, why move to Ubuntu and then ask how to run Fritz ?
Why i move to linux just simple because is better

I already install fritz 12 in linux using wine thanks for you answer , and is working fine
I would be very surprised if you don't experience strange errors.
But if it's working fine, good for you :)

royb

Post by royb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:27 pm

JcMaTe wrote:I am moving from windows to Linux ( ubuntu) and I need install Fritz , if somebody knows how to install it can help me with this?
Thank you so much!
I successfully run Shredder 8 (the GUI) on Ubuntu using wine. Engines I have successfully installed inside the GUI are Rybka-3 32-bit and Stockfish 1.7.1 32-bit. There are many others that will work (all 32-bit) but those are ones I've used in the past. I run Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit OS.

I have not tried to run any Fritz engines under wine. I just have not had the need and the last Fritz I purchased was Fritz 8 (a LONG time ago).

To install wine on Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ubuntu Software Center: click on Applications then run "Ubuntu Software Center". In the search box (upper right) type "wine" without the quotes. The first item that comes up in your search results is what you want. Highlight that item in the search results and click on "Install" button. Then, insert your Fritz CD. I then open a terminal (there are other ways I suppose) and type: cd /media/whatever-the-Fritz-CD-is-called and then type: wine Setup.exe and follow along as it installs the way it does on Windows.

It may be possible to just double click on the Setup.exe icon in the file manager -- I've not tried that (it was long ago that I installed this on Linux) instead of opening the terminal and typing the 'cd' and 'wine' commands ...

Roy